Make this Thanksgiving one to remember with this Vegan Sausage Kale Skillet Dressing. Filled with wilted kale, butternut squash and zesty vegan Italian sausage.
Our path to the best Thanksgiving continues. Last week I shared my Vegan Brown Butter Mashed Potato recipe and today we’re giving stuffing a whole new look with this Vegan Sausage Kale Skillet Dressing!
There are so many good flavors going on and I couldn’t help but go back for seconds…and thirds.
And don’t get me wrong I am all about a traditional stuffing/dressing – the recipe I shared last year is just that, traditional. BUT, this stuff is literally like crack. The combination of the zesty sausage, sweet butternut squash and ciabatta bread mixed together with the best vegan “chicken” broth and all of the vegan butter makes this what Thanksgiving dreams are made of.
First let’s talk about the sausage. I don’t know how I have gone this long without trying the Beyond Meat Italian Sausages, but they are ridiculous. I haven’t had real meat in a couple of years, but to me, these taste like the real deal. You can obviously swap these out for your favorite vegan sausage, but if you can find these, I definitely recommend them!
Another important part of making a good dressing is the bread. Specifically that the bread is nice and stale. Yep, leave that bread out overnight before making this so that it gets nice and tough. This will allow it to absorb all of that butter and broth without becoming bread soup.
And finally, the broth. As with every recipe, I used the Better Than Bouillon No Chicken Base. I don’t know how they make vegetables taste like chicken broth, but they have done it. I get mine at Whole Foods, but you can find it online here.
If you decide to use veggie broth instead, you may need to adjust the amount of salt used.
TSV TIP: If you don’t have a cast iron skillet, no problem. Cook everything up in a regular pan and transfer it to a greased baking dish. If you want to purchase a skillet, you can find one similar to what I used here.
Can’t wait to see your pictures and hear your reviews of this one!
Vegan Sausage Kale Skillet Dressing
- 4 tbsp vegan butter separated
- 1/2 large white onion diced
- 1/2 lb spicy Italian vegan sausage casings removed and crumbled
- 1/2 medium butternut squash peeled and diced
- 3 cups kale loosely packed
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup vegan parmesan
- 1 lb stale ciabatta cubed
- 2 cups vegan chicken broth*
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place a cast iron** skillet on the stove over medium heat. Melt 1 tbsp of butter in the pan. Add onions and sausage and sauté until onions begin to soften and sausage is browned (approx. 6 minutes).
- Add the squash and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add kale to the pan with a sprinkle of salt & pepper. Toss everything to combine. Place a lid on the pan and cook until kale has wilted (approx. 3 minutes).
- Stir in the parmesan cheese. Add the bread to the pan and top with the remaining butter. Toss to combine until the butter is melted.
- Add broth to the pan, and gently toss everything together. Place in the oven and bake until the top is browned (approx. 40 minutes). Remove from the oven and serve.
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on one and make a purchase I will receive a small percentage of the sale. Please know I would never link a product unless I have personally used it and loved it!