Creamy Vegan Southwest Pasta Salad - bow tie pasta, tons of veggies & soyrizo topped off with a creamy southwest dressing that is to die for!
I know it seems a little early in the year to start sharing BBQ side dish recipes, but I couldn't wait any longer to share this one with you.
Plus the Super Bowl is right around the corner and this recipe will not only make enough to serve a small village, it is also a total crowd pleaser. It has the perfect amount of spice, crunch, creaminess...I'm telling you, you will not be disappointed!
Now, when you take a look at the ingredient list for this Creamy Vegan Southwest Pasta Salad, don't freak out! I know there are a lot of ingredients, but most of them you will already have in your pantry and none of them are difficult to find.
Just be prepared to put on some music while you chop away in the kitchen.
The dressing obviously gives this recipe its "southwest" name - filled with green chiles, lots of spices and ketchup (just trust me on that last one, it makes all of the difference).
But to give this a little more spice and A LOT more flavor, I also added soyrizo into the mix. I love the Trader Joe's version, but you can find other brands of soyrizo at your local grocery store too. Feel free to omit it if it isn't your thing, but I think it adds some really great texture and flavor to the dish.
The other thing you need for this southwest pasta salad is a HUGE mixing bowl. I'm talking the biggest one you can find. You could also prepare this is patches, but be warned that this makes a HUGE amount of food.
If you want to make this ahead of time, I would get your salad ingredients combined and your dressing mixed, then keep them separate until you're ready to serve. As with all pasta salads, the pasta will continue to absorb the dressing the longer it sits so mixing it right before serving is important.
Bring this to your next party. Whether the weather is warm or cold, it will definitely be a hit!
Need more pasta salad inspo? Check out these recipes:
- Vegan BLT Pasta Salad
- Tomato Corn Avocado Pasta Salad
- Roasted Veggie Pasta Salad
- Vegan Orzo Pasta Salad with Grilled Veggies
- Vegan Mediterranean Couscous Salad
Creamy Vegan Southwest Pasta Salad
FOR THE DRESSING
- ⅓ cup ketchup
- ⅔ cup vegan mayo
- 1 tbsp low sodium soy sauce or tamari
- 1 tbsp yellow mustard
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 4-ounce can diced green chiles
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- salt & pepper* to taste
- hot sauce to taste
FOR THE SALAD
- 1 lb bowtie pasta dry
- 12 oz vegan soyrizo
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 1 15-ounce can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 jalapeño diced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes cut in half
- ¼ red onion diced
- 1 cup frozen corn thawed
- 2 tbsp cilantro plus more for topping
- Combine all of the dressing ingredients in a bowl and stir to combine. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Place in the fridge until ready to use.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add pasta and cook according to package instructions.
- While pasta is cooking, place a pan on the stove over medium heat. Add soyrizo and cook until slightly browned (approx. 5-7 minutes). Remove from the heat and place in a bowl to cool.
- When pasta is done, drain and rinse it with cold water.
- To assemble add pasta, soyrizo, bell pepper, black beans, jalapeño, cherry tomatoes, red onion, corn and cilantro to a large bowl. If serving right away, add dressing and mix until combined.
- If serving at a later time, keep salad and dressing separate until right before serving.
- Top finished salad with additional cilantro.
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on one and make a purchase I will receive a small percentage of the sale. Please know I would never link a product unless I have personally used it and loved it!