These BBQ Tofu Tostadas are layered with crispy BBQ tofu, cilantro lime coleslaw, pickled onions and fresh cilantro. An easy vegan dinner!
I LOVE a tostada! A little messy...but that's what forks are for! These tostadas are made with crispy, pan-fried tofu that is seasoned, then drizzled with pre-made BBQ sauce. The slaw is a mix of red cabbage, green cabbage, corn and a cilantro lime sauce. And I topped them off with pickled red onions. Simple and delicious!
How to make BBQ Tofu
Start out by draining and pressing the tofu. You want to get as much liquid out as possible. Then add it to a hot pan with oil. Break it into bite-sized pieces and let it sit for 5 minutes untouched. This will help it brown quickly - if you move it around too much, it will take longer.
Once it is slightly browned, add in red onion and spices. Cook for another 5 minutes. Lastly, add in your favorite BBQ sauce. Lower the heat and let the tofu absorb the sauce and start to caramelize.
How to make the slaw
This slaw is super crunchy and delicious - it has all of my favorite flavors. Make the cilantro lime sauce in a food processor or blender. Shred green cabbage and red cabbage. Add the cabbage and corn to a large bowl and toss with half of the sauce. You can serve the rest of the sauce on the side or save it for another recipe.
Want to save some time? Buy pre-cut coleslaw mix and skip the shredding part.
How to make BBQ Tofu Tostadas
I like to use pre-made tostadas - no need to fry anything. Place them on a baking sheet and cook at 350 until heated.
To assemble, add a layer of BBQ tofu and slaw to each tostada. Top them off with pickles onions (optional) and more cilantro. Serve with lime wedges on the side.
Some other toppings that would be amazing:
- hot sauce
- radish slices
Need more recipe inspo? Check these out:
BBQ Tofu Tostadas
FOR THE BBQ TOFU
FOR THE SLAW
FOR THE TOSTADAS
- 8 pre-made tostada shells
- pickled onions optional
- lime wedges, cilantro for topping
- Drain and press the tofu. Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the tofu and break it apart into bite-sized pieces. Allow it to cook, undisturbed, for 5 minutes. Flip and cook for 3 more minutes.
- Add the red onion and seasonings to the pan and cook for 5 more minues. Pour in the BBQ sauce and a splash of water. Toss to coat, lower heat and cook until the sauce starts to crisp slightly.*
- Meanwhile, add all of the slaw sauce ingredients to a food processor. Blend until smooth. Place the shredded cabbage, corn and ½ of the sauce in a bowl and toss to combine. Add more sauce if needed and reserve the rest of the sauce for serving.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place the tostada shells on a baking sheet and bake for 5-ish minutes, or until heated.
- To assemble, layer each tostada with BBQ tofu, slaw, pickled onions and more cilantro. Serve with lime wedges.