Vegan Butter & Herb Stuffing
This Vegan Butter & Herb Stuffing is the perfect Thanksgiving side dish! Onions, celery, garlic, fresh herbs and cubed bread all tossed in broth & baked!
I’ve made quite a few stuffings over the years, but this Vegan Butter & Herb Stuffing might just be my favorite. It has the perfect blend of herbs, a crispy topping, a moist center – it has everything going for it. And since this technically isn’t being “stuffed” anywhere, you can also call this dressing. No matter what you call it, one thing everyone will agree on…it’s delicious.
How to dry out the bread
The first step to any stuffing is drying out the bread. You want to use dry bread so it can absorb the veggies and broth without getting too soggy. You have a couple options of how to do this depending on how much time you have.
If you’re prepping the bread the day before, cube it and spread it out on baking sheets. Cover with a kitchen towel and let it sit out overnight.
If you’re prepping the bread the day of, you’ll want to bake it in a 350 degree oven for 15 minutes. This will dry the bread out and give it the feel of croutons.
The veggie mix
The other half of the stuffing is the veggies and herbs. And the best way to cook them down is in some vegan butter. Let the onions, celery and garlic get tender in the butter with some salt, pepper & poultry seasoning. Then, add in a mix of fresh parsley, rosemary and thyme. Let it cook down for a few more minutes and add in some broth.
I opted for my favorite vegan chicken broth. It gives this a traditional Thanksgiving flavor.
Bring it together
Combine the dried out bread and the veggie mixture. Give everything a toss. Add in a little more broth and some aquafaba (chickpea liquid) as a binder. Transfer the mixture to a greased baking dish and bake for 45 minutes.
When you pull it out, the stuffing should be crispy on the top, soft in the center and smelling SUPER DELICIOUS! Serve this with your other favorite holiday recipes and use leftovers to make my Thanksgiving Leftover Waffle Sandwiches!
Need more recipe inspo? Check these out:
Vegan Butter & Herb Stuffing
- 12 cups bread cubed – I used a mix of ciabatta and french
- 6 tablespoons vegan butter
- 2 cups yellow onion diced
- 2 cups celery diced
- 5 cloves garlic diced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning*
- 1/2 bunch parsley finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh rosemary finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme finely chopped
- 2 cups broth I used vegan chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons aquafaba***
- Cube the bread and spread it out on 1 or 2 baking sheets.** Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and bake for 15 minutes. It should be dry like croutons.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a pan over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, garlic, salt, pepper and poultry seasoning. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the fresh herbs and cook for another 3 minutes. Stir in 1 cup of broth and remove from the heat.
- Combine the bread and veggie mixture in a large mixing bowl. Toss to combine. Add the remaining 1 cup of broth & the aquafaba and toss until moist and combined. Transfer to a greased 9×13 baking dish.
- Bake uncovered for 45 minutes – be sure to check it after 30 minutes to make sure it isn't getting too browned on top. If it is, you can cover it with foil for the last 15 minutes of cooking.
- Remove from the oven and serve immediately.
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on one and make a purchase I will receive a small percentage of the sale. Please know I would never link a product unless I have personally used it and loved it!