This Vegan Southwest Potato Salad is the perfect BBQ side! Chunky potatoes, creamy chipotle dressing and a mix of fresh veggies.
To kick off the official beginning of Spring, I thought it was fitting to share a new vegan potato salad recipe! And this one is addicting! The potatoes are boiled until tender, then cut in half. The dressing is creamy and tangy - with a little bit of a kick. And I added in some onions, corn & tomatoes for some crunch. This is the perfect side to bring to your next BBQ!
How to make the potatoes
I LOVE these little dutch potatoes for this potato salad. They have a great, tender texture once they are cooked. BUT, you can definitely sub them for a different kind of potato if you have something else on hand.
Give the potatoes a quick wash, then add them to a large stock pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil and cook until fork tender.
Drain the potatoes and allow them to cool for a few minutes. Once they are cool enough to handle, cut them in half (or quarters) and place in a large serving bowl.
How to make southwest dressing
While the potatoes are cooking, prep the other veggies and the dressing. Thinly slice a red onion - you could also dice it if you prefer that texture. Cut some cherry tomatoes in quarters, thaw some corn and dice cilantro & green onions.
To a large bowl, add the vegan mayo, mustard, apple cider vinegar, chipotles, green chiles, lime juice, salt & pepper. This dressing does have a kick to it, so feel free to use less chipotles if you are sensitive to spice. Give the dressing a mix, then add all of those diced veggies to the bowl. Place this in the fridge while the potatoes finish cooking.
How to assemble Vegan Southwest Potato Salad
Now that the dressing is mixed and the potatoes have cooled, it is time to assemble. Pour the dressing/veggies over the cut potatoes and gently toss until everything is combined.
You can serve it right away at room temp, or you can pop it in the fridge for a few hours to chill it down.
This can be prepped ahead of time and kept in the fridge for 2-3 days.
Need more vegan potato salad recipes? Check these out:
- Vegan Potato Salad
- Vegan Gnocchi Potato Salad
- No Mayo Vegan Potato Salad
- Vegan Spring Potato Salad with Creamy Dreamy Green Sauce
Vegan Southwest Potato Salad
- 3 pounds potatoes I used baby dutch
- 1 red onion thinly sliced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes quartered
- 5 green onions finely diced
- ½ bunch cilantro chopped
- ¼ cup frozen corn thawed
- Scrub the potatoes and add them to a large stock pot. Cover with water and bring to a boil. Cook until fork tender (12-15 minutes). Drain and allow to cool slightly. Once cool enough to handle, cut the potatoes in half and place in a large serving bowl.
- While the potatoes are cooking, add all of the dressing ingredients to a bowl. Add the onions, tomatoes, green onion, cilantro and corn to the dressing and toss to combine. Place in fridge until the potatoes are ready.
- To assemble, pour the dressing/veggies over the potatoes and gently toss. Taste and adjust salt & pepper. Serve at room temperature or place in the fridge to cool.
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on one and make a purchase I will receive a small percentage of the sale. Please know I would never link a product unless I have personally used it and loved it!