These Red Pepper Pesto Quinoa Bowls are layered with seasoned quinoa, crispy chickpeas, charred peppers and roasted red pepper pesto!
These quinoa bowls are not your average quinoa bowls. Every bit is seasoned to perfection, and don't get me started on the red pepper pesto! The peppers add a little kick to your traditional pesto and I'm totally obsessed! These bowls can be served hot or cold - perfect for make ahead lunches!
How to make Red Pepper Pesto
This red pepper pesto is a combo of jarred roasted red peppers (drained), basil, garlic, pine nuts, vegan parm, salt, pepper and olive oil.
Add everything to a food processor and with the motor running, drizzle in the oil.
Unlike traditional pesto, this one really doesn't need a lot of oil. Just 1 or 2 tablespoons will do the trick. Play around with it until the pesto has the right consistency. You can easily prep this ahead of time and keep it in the fridge.
How to make Chickpea Quinoa Bowls
To a pot add the quinoa and broth - you could also sub water, but the broth gives the quinoa soooooooo much flavor! Bring it to a boil, cover and lower the heat until all of the broth is absorbed. Right before serving, toss in some fresh parsley for a bit of brightness.
While the quinoa is cooking, add the chickpeas and peppers to a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil, garlic powder, oregano, salt & pepper. Toss to combine and roast for 20 minutes.
Once everything is done cooking, load up each bowl with quinoa, chickpeas, peppers and avocado. Add a drizzle of red pepper pesto and serve with warm pita bread.
How to serve Chickpea Quinoa Bowls
These quinoa bowls can be served hot or cold, which makes them perfect for weekday lunches. Divide all of the cooked ingredients into individual containers and keep them in the fridge for quick, healthy meals on the go.
I would just add the avocado and pesto right before serving to keep things as fresh as possible!
Need more recipe inspo? Check these out:
Red Pepper Pesto Quinoa Bowls
FOR THE RED PEPPER PESTO
- 1 12-ounce jar roasted red peppers drained (about 2 whole peppers)
- 1 cup fresh basil
- 2 cloves garlic peeled
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- ¼ cup vegan parmesan
- salt & pepper to taste
- olive oil
FOR THE BOWLS
- 1 cup quinoa dry
- 2 cups broth
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 2 bell peppers sliced
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- salt & pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- parsley chopped
- 2 avocados
- pita bread for serving, optional
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add all of the pesto ingredients (except the oil) to a food processor and pulse until combined. With the motor running, drizzle in olive oil until it reaches the consistency you like. Taste and adjust salt if needed. Set aside.
- Add the quinoa and broth to pot. Bring to a boil, cover and lower heat. Cook until all of the liquid has been absorbed. Right before serving, sprinkle in some parsley.
- Add the chickpeas, peppers, garlic powder, oregano, salt, pepper and olive oil to the baking sheet. Cook for 20 minutes and remove from the oven.
- To assemble, layer each bowl with quinoa, chickpeas, peppers, avocado and parsley. Drizzle with pesto and serve with warm pita bread!
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on one and make a purchase I will receive a small percentage of the sale. Please know I would never link a product unless I have personally used it and loved it!
Absolutely delicious! Shared it with my granddaughter. She wanted the recipe. Thanks for another great meal!
Thanks so much Kay!