Vegan Sausage & Potato Soup
Warm and cozy, this Vegan Sausage & Potato Soup is the perfect dinner for cold nights. Made with vegan sausage, Yukon potatoes & spinach.
This Vegan Sausage & Potato Soup requires just 10 ingredients and less than an hour. It is hearty, comforting and delicious – from the crispy vegan sausage to the tender Yukon gold potatoes. It has a tomato base and is finished off with fresh spinach. The perfect comforting vegan dinner for fall!
Step One: Cook the Vegan Sausage
When it comes to the vegan sausage, you can use whatever brand you prefer. I personally love the Beyond Meat Hot Italian. It gets a nice crispy outer layer and is still tender in the center.
To cook it, heat a little oil in a stock pot and add the sliced sausage. Cook until the sausage is browned on both sides – it should take about 3 minutes per side.
Add in yellow onion, garlic and Italian seasoning. Toss until the onion starts to get tender and the garlic is fragrant.
Note: The sausage will release some oil while it is cooking. Since there isn’t a lot of added fat in this recipe, you’ll want to keep that in the pot – it adds lots of flavor!
Step Two: Build the Soup
Once the onion is tender, pour in a can of crushed tomatoes, vegan broth (I used vegan chicken broth) and peeled & cubed Yukon gold potatoes. Bring the soup to a boil, partially cover, lower the heat and simmer. After 15-20 minutes, the potatoes should be tender and the soup should smell amazing.
Right before serving, add in a couple of handfuls of spinach (or sub kale) and some fresh parsley. Give the soup a taste and add salt & pepper if needed.
Step Three: Serve
And that is it my friends! I’m telling you, this soup is sooooo simple! Serve the soup hot as is or add some vegan parmesan to the top.
I also like to have some crusty bread on the side to dip in the broth…it makes the perfect side!
This soup is what we all need during the colder months. It is comforting, quick and will make your house smell AMAZING!
Need more recipe inspo? Check these out:
Vegan Sausage & Potato Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound vegan sausage cut in rounds, I used Beyond Italian
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes I used fire roasted
- 2 cups broth I used vegan chicken broth
- 1 pound Yukon gold potatoes peeled and cubed
- 2 handfuls spinach
- 2 tablespoons parsley chopped
- salt & pepper to taste
- vegan parmesan, crusty bread optional, for serving
- Heat the oil in a stock pot over medium heat. Add the sausage and cook until browned on both sides – about 3 minutes per side.
- Add the onion, garlic & Italian seasoning and cook down for 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently. Pour in the tomatoes, broth and potatoes. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil, lower heat, partially cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.
- Add the spinach & parsley and cook until the spinach is wilted. Taste and add salt & pepper as needed.
- Serve hot with vegan parmesan and crusty bread on the side.