Take french bread to a whole new level with this Vegan Pesto Garlic Bread. A fun take on a classic side dish for your next BBQ!
Garlic bread is one of those go-to sides.
It’s buttery, garlicky goodness on a big loaf of french bread – doesn’t get much better than that.
But, what if it could get better?
How about smothering that buttery, garlicky goodness in fresh basil pesto?
Oh ya…we’re getting real here on TSV today with some ultimate comfort food.
As most of us vegans know, pesto is not something you can easily get at the grocery store. Which is why you will almost always have to make it from scratch.
This is in no way a bad thing – pesto from scratch is always better. AND you get to be creative with how you make it.
Now you may be thinking, pesto mayo on garlic bread? Believe me when I say it makes it extra creamy and delicious. But if you don’t want to add the calories, feel free to swap it out for your favorite pesto recipe.
I made this in the oven, but feel free to wrap the bread in foil and throw it on the grill if you’ve already got the BBQ lit.
Vegan Pesto Garlic Bread
- 1/2 large loaf french bread
- 4 tsp. vegan butter softened
- 1 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 cup pesto mayo recipe link above, or pesto of choice
- Optional Toppings: fresh basil red pepper flakes
- Turn oven to broil and line a baking sheet with foil.
- Place bread on the foil and spread butter on bread. Top butter with garlic powder. Place in the oven until bread just begins to brown (approx. 3 minutes). Remove bread from oven and spread pesto evenly on bread. Place back in the oven for an additional 1-2 minutes, or until bread is crispy and pesto is heated.
- Remove from oven and slice. Top with optional toppings if using.