Kick your pesto up a notch with this Arugula Basil Vegan Pesto. The arugula gives this a peppery bite that is perfect for pesto!
Welcome to the "Week of Arugula"!!!
This week I will be sharing 4 recipes with you that make use of the peppery superfood that is...arugula.
I will also be sharing fun facts about what makes arugula so great - taste and health wise.
And we're kicking off the week with this Arugula Basil Vegan Pesto.
This is one of my favorite recipes for pesto (other than my Vegan Cashew Pesto of course).
Arugula has a naturally peppery taste, which I think lends itself to making a great pesto.
Its like giving your traditional pesto a kick in the butt (with flavor, that is).
Be sure to check back tomorrow and the rest of this week for more arugula goodness.
Arugula Basil Vegan Pesto
- 1 cup arugula packed
- 1 cup basil leaves packed
- 1 clove of garlic
- ⅓ cup whole unsalted cashews
- ¼ to ½ cup olive oil (depending on desired consistency)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add arugula, basil, garlic and cashews to a food processor. Pulse until everything is roughly chopped and scrape down the sides. Put the food processor on low and drizzle in olive oil until desired consistency is reached.
- Add salt and pepper and stir to combine.
Would raw almonds be fine to replace the cashews? I'm allergic to sunflower seeds, cashews and peanuts.
Sure, almonds will definitely work.
Pinon or pine nuts or pistachios are my favorite pesto nuts!