Still not sure what to make for your special somebody on Valentine's Day? Check out…
This Vegan Cheez-Its Recipe is a fun snack you can make at home. With just a few simple ingredients, you will have crispy, cheesy vegan crackers ready to eat.
Guys, this recipe is super fun. I mean who doesn’t love a crispy, cheesy, salty vegan cracker? And while there are pre-made vegan cheez-it options at the store, sometimes you just want to take on the challenge, and make them yourself.
As you may know I am not the biggest fan of vegan cheese. You rarely see it in my recipes and I have openly discussed my aversion to it on Instagram. BUT, I feel like when it comes to this recipe, you can’t really taste any weird “vegan cheese tang” (as I like to call it). And let’s be honest, it’s not like original Cheez-its taste like real cheese anyways – from what I remember at least 🙂
So, if you already have a favorite vegan cheddar shreds brand, go ahead and use it. I went with Miyoko’s.
How to Make Vegan Cheez-Its
These are pretty straight forward to make. Add the vegan cheese, seasonings and flour to a food processor. Pulse until combined. Add in some very cold vegan butter and pulse again.
Lastly, add some water until the dough forms into a ball. This is where things can get a little tricky. Depending on the vegan cheese you use and how cold your vegan butter is, you may need to add more or less water. You want the dough to stick together, but you don’t want it to be wet.
Don’t worry too much about it, you can always add more flour when you roll out the dough if it is too wet.
How to Roll Out Cracker Dough
There are a couple methods to rolling out the dough. You want to roll it super thin, so an easy way to accomplish this is by placing the ball of dough between 2 sheets of parchment paper and rolling it out that way.
The other way you can do it is by placing the dough on a floured surface and rolling it out. If you follow this method, your dough will inevitably have more flour added to it, which will make it easier to transfer the crackers to the baking sheet. It will alter the end result slightly.
Both methods turn out tasty crackers, so you will be good either way.
How to Cut Out Vegan Cheez-Its
I used this super handy cracker cutter to make these crackers look official. But you can simply cut them into squares using a knife or pizza cutter.
The tricky part is transferring the cut dough to the baking sheet. Don’t worry if they lose some of their shape as you transfer them. After they bake they will look just fine.
The last step you need to do to make these look “super official”, is poke a hole into the center of each cracker. Obviously not necessary, but cute.
Need more vegan snacks? Check out these recipes:
SHOP THE POST
Vegan Cheez-Its Recipe
- 1 cup vegan cheddar shreds I used Miyoko's brand
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour plus more for rolling out
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/8 tsp salt plus more for topping
- 2 tbsp vegan butter chilled
- 1-2 tbsp water
- Add vegan cheddar, flour, garlic powder, smoked paprika and salt to a food processor. Pulse until combined.
- Add the chilled butter and pulse again. Lastly, slowly pour water in while the food processor is running. Only add water until the dough forms a ball. Transfer the dough to a bowl and cover with a clean kitchen towel. Place in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- To roll the dough out, you have 2 options. You can place the dough between 2 pieces of parchment paper and roll out with a rolling pin. You can also add the dough to a floured surface and roll out with a rolling pin. You want the dough as thin as possible.*
- Once the dough is rolled out, cut out the crackers using a cracker cutter**, knife or pizza cutter. Carefully transfer the crackers to the baking sheets.*** Use a kabob stick (or other pointy tool) to poke a hole into the center of each cracker – optional. Sprinkle with a tiny bit of salt and place in the oven for 15-17 minutes.
- Remove the crackers from the oven and allow to cool completely. Enjoy!
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on one and make a purchase I will receive a small percentage of the sale. Please know I would never link a product unless I have personally used it and loved it!