Tempeh Enchilada Rice Skillet
This Tempeh Enchilada Rice Skillet is the best one-pot vegan dinner recipe! Plenty of veggies, flavor-packed rice and crispy tempeh! Plus all of the tastiest plant-based toppings.
A one-pot recipe that has everything – crispy tempeh, tons of veggies, flavor-packed rice and all the best toppings. Serve this up with tortillas or chips on the side for the best vegan dinner!
Step One: Make the Tempeh
The tempeh is cooked in a simple sauce that doesn’t skimp on flavor. Here is what you need:
Cut the tempeh into 18 squares and add it to a bowl with the rest of the ingredients. Give everything a toss and heat a skillet over medium heat. Pour the tempeh and sauce into the skillet and let it cook until the tempeh is browned on one side. Flip and cook until the other side is browned. Use tongs to remove the tempeh from the skillet.
Step Two: Cook the Veggies & Rice
To the empty skillet add the onion, bell pepper, jalapeño and remaining taco seasoning and cook down for 3 minutes. Pour in the rice, enchilada sauce, salsa verde and broth. Stir to combine, bring to a boil, cover, lower the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
Give the rice a stir and add the tempeh back to the skillet, cover and steam on low heat for another 20 minutes.
Serve it Up
Before serving, be sure to give the rice a taste – make sure the rice is cooked and the seasonings are where you want them.
Now, the fun part…toppings! I like to top this with vegan yogurt (or vegan sour cream), green onion, avocado and cilantro. Serve with lime wedges and plenty of corn chips on the side to scoop up all of the goodness.
Need More Recipe Inspo? Check these Out!
Tempeh Enchilada Rice Skillet
- 1 8-ounce block tempeh cut into 18 squares
- 4 tablespoons oil separated
- 1-2 chipotle peppers in adobo chopped, to taste
- 1 packet taco seasoning separated
- 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- 1 red onion diced
- 2 bell peppers sliced
- 1 jalapeño diced
- 1 1/2 cups white rice dry
- 12 ounces red enchilada sauce
- 8 ounces salsa verde home-made or store bought
- 12 ounces broth
- 1 4-ounce can green chiles
- 1 15-ounce can black beans drained and rinsed
- green onions, cilantro, avocado, vegan yogurt, lime wedges optional toppings
- tortilla chips for serving
- Combine tempeh, 2 tablespoons oil, chipotle peppers, 1 teaspoon taco seasoning & soy sauce in a bowl and toss to combine. Heat a skillet over medium heat and add the tempeh to the pan. Cook until browned on both sides – approx. 3 minutes per side. Remove the tempeh from the pan with tongs.
- Add the onion, bell pepper, jalapeño and remaining taco seasoning to the empty pan and cook down for 3 minutes. Pour in the rice, enchilada sauce, salsa verde, broth, green chiles and black beans. Stir to combine, bring to a boil, cover, lower the heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Give the rice a stir and add the tempeh back to the skillet, cover and steam on low heat for another 20 minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Add optional toppings and serve with tortilla chips.