Tempeh & Peppers in Pesto Cream Sauce is a super easy and delicious vegan dinner idea! Served over rice and topped with plenty of fresh basil!
I know this might look like a green curry, but it is actually a delicious pesto cream sauce! Tempeh, peppers and onions are cooked until crispy and then sautéed in a sauce made from pesto, non-dairy cream and broth. Served over hot rice that absorbs all of that tasty sauce and topped off with fresh herbs.
How to make the Tempeh & Peppers
Start out by slicing the tempeh into strips and heating some olive oil in a skillet. Add the tempeh, smoked paprika, salt & pepper. Cook until crispy on both sides and then remove from the pan.
Place the pan back on the stove and add more oil as needed. Drop in the bell peppers and onions and cook for a few minutes, or until slightly charred. Add in some garlic and cook until fragrant.
How to make the Pesto Cream Sauce
While the tempeh is cooking, make the pesto cream sauce. I decided to keep things simple and just use a pre-made pesto. But if you need a pesto recipe, you can get one here.
Add the pesto, non-dairy cream (or milk), and broth to a bowl. Stir until combined and set aside.
After the garlic is done cooking, pour in the sauce and bring it to a boil. Add the tempeh back in and toss until it is heated through.
How to serve Tempeh & Peppers in Pesto Cream Sauce
I like to serve the tempeh & peppers over rice - that way the rice will absorb all that extra sauce. But you can also serve this with quinoa or pasta.
Be sure to add plenty of fresh herbs to each bowl and top with more black pepper. For leftovers, just reheat in on the stove or in the microwave.
Need more recipe inspo? Check these out:
Tempeh & Peppers in Pesto Cream Sauce
FOR THE PESTO CREAM SAUCE
- 4 ounces pesto
- 1 cup non-dairy cream or sub non-dairy milk
- 1 cup broth I used vegan chicken broth
- Combine the pesto cream sauce ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the tempeh, smoked paprika, salt & pepper and cook until crispy on both sides. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- If the pan is dry, add a little more oil. Add the bell peppers, onions, salt & pepper and cook until slightly charred, stirring frequently. Add the garlic and cook for 60 seconds. Pour in the pesto cream sauce and bring to a boil. Lower heat and toss in the tempeh. Cook until heated through. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Serve the tempeh and peppers over hot rice and top with fresh herbs.