Spicy Vegan Breakfast Quesadillas
Spicy Vegan Breakfast Quesadillas are the perfect quick weekend breakfast. Vegan eggs, feta and spicy Calabrian chiles makes these amazing!
These Spicy Vegan Breakfast Quesadillas were really an accident of a recipe. A happy accident though! I was trying to use up some ingredients in my fridge and I stumbled upon my new favorite breakfast combo. These take no time to make and there are plenty of swaps that can be made depending on what you have and what you like.
Let’s Talk Ingredients
These vegan quesadillas have a super simple ingredient list:
- tortillas – I used taco-sized flour tortillas, but corn work too
- vegan eggs – I used Just Eggs
- vegan feta – I got mine at Trader Joe’s
- Calabrian chili peppers
- Oil – for frying
Some optional add-ons for serving:
- avocado slices
- more Calabrian chili peppers
If you aren’t a spicy person I would recommend swapping the chiles for sun-dried tomatoes!
How to Cook the Quesadillas
The flavor of these quesadillas is AMAZING, but the cooking method is really what has me excited about this recipe. Rather than cooking the vegan eggs separately and then adding them to the tortilla, we’re doing it all at once.
Heat some oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add one tortilla to the skillet and then slowly pour the Just Egg into the center of the tortilla. Pour it slow so that you don’t add too much. My goal is to keep it mostly on the tortilla.
Sprinkle in some vegan feta and the Calabrian chili peppers. Pour 1-2 tablespoons of water to the skillet (on the outside of the tortilla) and quickly cover the skillet with a lid. At this point you may want to lower the heat slightly so the tortilla doesn’t burn. Let the water steam the eggs for 2 minutes. Remove the lid, add some basil and top with a second tortilla. Flip and cook for another 1-2 minutes, or until the other side is crispy. Remove from the skillet and repeat with the remaining quesadillas.
How to Serve the Quesadillas
Once all of the quesadillas are done cooking, you can serve them up with some toppings. I topped mine with avocado slices, arugula, basil and more Calabrian chili peppers (because I LOVE the spice).
These will be super hot right out of the skillet, so there is no harm giving them a couple minutes to cool down. You can be civil and eat these with a knife and fork, or roll them up like a taco and eat them on the go. I usually opt for the taco-route, but no judgement either way.
Need More Recipe Inspo? Check these Out!
Did you Make this Recipe?
If you made these Spicy Vegan Breakfast Quesadillas I would LOVE to hear what you thought. Be sure to drop a comment and a rating below! You can also tag me on social media if you snapped a photo. I LOVE seeing your recreations!
Spicy Vegan Breakfast Quesadillas
- Heat some oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add one tortilla to the skillet and slowly pour 1-2 tablespoons of vegan egg into the center of the tortilla.* Crumble in some vegan feta and add Calabrian chiles to taste. Pour 1-2 tablespoons of water into the skillet (outside of the tortilla) and quickly cover with the lid. Lower the heat slightly, so the tortilla doesn't burn.
- Allow the eggs to steam for 2 minutes. Remove the lid. Add some fresh basil and top with another tortilla. Flip and cook for another 1-2 minutes, or until the bottom side is crispy. Remove from the skillet and repeat with remaining ingredients.
- To serve top each quesadilla with avocado slices, arugula, basil and more Calabrian chiles.