These Simple Black Bean Tacos with Vegan Lime Crema are the best weeknight dinner! Ready in less than 30 minutes and packed with flavor!
Making vegan tacos at home doesn't have to be overly complicated or take a lot of effort. And that's why these Simple Black Bean Tacos with Vegan Lime Crema are the perfect weeknight dinner. The beans come together quickly with just a few ingredients and the lime crema is the perfect creamy topping. Make these mild or spicy, depending on your spice preference, and get to eating.
How to make the black bean filling
This black bean filling is something I've been making for years. It is quick, easy and tasty. Plus, it only requires a few ingredients. Sauté the onion and jalapeño in some oil for a couple of minutes. Add 2 cans of black beans (that have been drained), a can of green chiles and a packet of taco seasoning. Give that a stir and add some water.
Lower the heat and let that simmer while you prep the sauce.
Let's talk vegan crema
Traditional crema is made with sour cream, heavy cream (or buttermilk) and lime juice. So, to replicate that flavor we are making a few vegan swaps.
Vegan mayo and a splash of apple cider vinegar will make the perfect replacement for the sour cream and heavy cream. The lime juice adds plenty of fresh flavor. And the addition of garlic powder, onion powder and jalapeño give it a little something extra. You could always omit the jalapeño for a more mild sauce.
Let's assemble the tacos
Be sure to heat your tortillas - whether you do this over an open flame, in a pan or in the microwave (if you heat them in the microwave be sure to wrap them in a damp paper towel so they can steam).
Layer each tortilla with some shredded lettuce, black beans and lime crema. Top them off with chopped cilantro and serve with some lime wedges on the side.
These make great leftovers and you can even serve the bean mixture in a bowl or a salad.
Need more recipe inspo? Check these out:
Simple Black Bean Tacos with Vegan Lime Crema
FOR THE BEANS
- 1 tablespoon oil I used avocado
- ½ yellow onion diced
- ½ jalapeño diced, optional
- 2 15-ounce cans black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 4-ounce can green chiles
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 4 ounces water
FOR THE LIME CREMA
- ½ cup vegan mayo
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- apple cider vinegar to taste, I used about 1 teaspoon
- 1 lime juiced
- ½ jalapeño finely diced, optional
FOR THE TACOS
- 12 corn tortillas
- shredded lettuce
- lime wedges
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the onion and jalapeño and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until the onion is soft. Add the beans, green chiles, taco seasoning and water. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer while you prep everything else.
- Add all of the crema ingredients to a bowl and stir to combine. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Set aside.
- Heat the tortillas over an open flame, in a pan or in the microwave.
- To serve, layer each tortilla with shredded lettuce, beans and lime crema. Top with cilantro and serve with lime wedges.
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on one and make a purchase I will receive a small percentage of the sale. Please know I would never link a product unless I have personally used it and loved it!