These Vegan Lemon Pepper Chicken Tacos are loaded with a kale avocado slaw and a chili lime crema. Perfect for your next Taco Tuesday!
I don't know if there is anything better than a taco dinner. I could literally eat tacos every night of the week. They are just the perfect vehicle for getting all the best ingredients into one tasty bite.
And these Vegan Lemon Pepper Chicken Tacos have made it to the top of my taco list these days. The vegan chicken strips are quickly crisped in a pan with olive oil and lemon pepper seasoning. And, damn, they are super tasty. You will want to add them to salads, wraps...basically anything.
But let's talk about the Kale Avocado Slaw
Other than the vegan chicken strips, this kale avocado slaw takes these tacos to the next level. It is zingy, crunchy and filled with all kinds of healthy ingredients.
I know kale isn't the first thing you might think of when it comes to a good slaw, but let me tell you, it is my new favorite thing. It adds lots of healthy greens and the perfect amount of crunch.
How to make vegan crema
I know this crema isn't traditional - but hey, we're working within our vegan limits here.
Just combine some vegan mayo, a couple of spices and lime juice in a bowl. It is that easy and it tastes amazing. Almost like a fish taco-type of sauce!
How to assemble Vegan Lemon Pepper Chicken Tacos
To assemble, load up your tortillas (I recommend you heat your tortillas over an open flame, but in a pan on the stove works too) with the vegan chicken, kale avocado slaw and chili lime crema.
Make sure to have extra lime wedges, cilantro and hot sauce on hand and you are ready to eat.
These fillings would also make an amazing taco salad if you want to forgo the tortillas!
Need more taco inspo? Check out these recipes:
Vegan Lemon Pepper Chicken Tacos
FOR THE KALE AVOCADO SLAW
- 2 handfuls kale roughly chopped
- ½ cup cilantro
- ½ cup purple cabbage roughly chopped
- ½ red onion roughly chopped
- 1 jalapeño roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic peeled
- 1 avocado
- ½ lime juiced
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
FOR THE CHILI LIME CREMA
- ¼ cup vegan mayo
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½-1 lime juiced
- salt & pepper to taste
FOR THE LEMON PEPPER CHICKEN
- 6 oz vegan chicken strips un-breaded
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
FOR THE TACOS
- 8 corn tortillas
- cilantro, lime wedges, hot sauce for serving
- Prepare the kale avocado slaw by adding all of the ingredients to a food processor. Pulse until roughly chopped. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Transfer to a bowl and place in the fridge until ready to use.
- Prepare the chili lime crema by adding all of the ingredients to a bowl (start with ½ a lime). Stir to combine and adjust salt, pepper and lime juice as needed.
- Slice the vegan chicken into thin strips (unless they are already bite-sized) and place in a bowl. Combine lemon pepper and olive oil in a small bowl. Pour over the vegan chicken strips and toss to combine.
- Heat a pan over medium-high heat. Add vegan chicken to the pan and cook for 3-5 minutes, or until browned on both sides. Keep on low heat until you're ready to eat.
- Heat tortillas over an open flame or in a pan over medium heat.
- To serve, layer tortillas with slaw, vegan chicken and crema. Top with extra cilantro and serve with lime wedges and hot sauce.
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on one and make a purchase I will receive a small percentage of the sale. Please know I would never link a product unless I have personally used it and loved it!