These Crispy Chickpea Corn Patties are served with a crunchy kale slaw & a vegan chipotle aioli. Freezer ready for quick lunches or dinners!
This recipe is saucy, crispy, crunchy goodness. It literally has all my favorite things - a homemade slaw, TWO different sauces and crispy patties that are like a combination of falafel and fritters. Make the patties ahead of time and freeze them for future lunches and dinners!
How to make Crispy Chickpea Corn Patties
To make the patties, combine the chickpeas (including the can liquid), brown rice, red onion, cilantro and spices to a food processor. Pulse to combine, then transfer to a bowl. Add the corn & panko and stir to combine. The mixture should be slightly sticky, but can still be easily formed into patties.
Use a measuring cup to form the patties and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Sprinkle them with a little extra smoked paprika and place in the freezer for 20 minutes. This will help them keep their shape when frying.
Add some oil to a non-stick pan. Working in batches, add the patties to the pan and cook until browned on both sides - about 4-5 minutes per side. Just be sure not to disturb the patties too much while frying. This will help them get crispy and stay intact. Transfer to a plate and repeat with the remaining patties.
How to serve Crispy Chickpea Corn Patties
While the patties are freezing prepare the chipotle aioli and the kale slaw. I used a pre-made crunchy kale salad mix, but you could also use a coleslaw mix. Either way, add the greens to a bowl and toss with my homemade basil sauce.
Place some slaw on each plate and top with two of the chickpea patties. Add a dollop of chipotle aioli to each patty and a sprinkle of cilantro.
Need more recipe inspo? Check these out:
Crispy Chickpea Corn Patties
FOR THE CHICKPEA PATTIES
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas including the can liquid
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- ½ red onion roughly chopped
- ¼ cup cilantro plus more for serving
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- ½ cup frozen corn thawed
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- salt if needed
- oil for frying
FOR THE CHIPOTLE AIOLI
- ⅓ cup vegan mayo
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo
- 1 clove garlic
- ½ lime juiced
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- Add all of the chickpea patty ingredients (through the garlic salt) to a food processor. Pulse until combined. Transfer to a bowl and add the corn & panko. Stir to combine. Taste and add salt if needed.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Use ¼ cup measuring cup to form the mixture into patties - I was able to make 10 patties. Place them on the baking sheet and sprinkle with some smoked paprika. Put the patties in the freezer for at least 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add all of the chipotle aioli ingredients to a food processor or blender and combine. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Add all of the slaw sauce ingredients (through the apple cider vinegar) to a food processor or blender and combine. Add water to get your desired consistency. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed. Add the slaw and the dressing to a bowl and toss to combine. Place in the fridge.
- Heat some oil** in a non-stick pan over medium heat. Working in batches, add the patties and brown on both sides*** (about 4-5 minutes per side). Remove from the pan and repeat with the remaining patties.
- To serve, add some slaw to each plate and top with two patties, some chipotle aioli and a sprinkle of cilantro.
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on one and make a purchase I will receive a small percentage of the sale. Please know I would never link a product unless I have personally used it and loved it!