These Spicy Sofritas Black Bean Bowls are healthy, simple and super delicious. Perfect for meal…
I’m so excited for these Spicy Black Bean Burgers. Make them ahead of time, freeze them and then pop them on the stove for an easy weeknight dinner.
I am so excited to share this recipe with you – Spicy Black Bean Burgers.
Guys, it is so easy to make black bean burgers at home. Who knew?
Black bean burgers are one of my favorite things to eat during the week.
You can pop them out of the freezer, throw them on the stove or in the oven, and then eat them in a bun, a wrap, a salad…ANYTHING!
Plus you can switch up the toppings every time.
And now that you have a recipe for these burgers you can stop buying those store-bought frozen ones.
Believe me, I thought those were good until I tried making my own and just about fainted from the difference.
Which I should have known, since homemade is always better, right?
More of a visual person? Check out the video here:
Spicy Vegan Black Bean Burgers
- 1/2 yellow onion roughly chopped
- 4-6 cloves garlic roughly chopped
- 15 oz can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 cup quick cook oats
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs*
- 1-2 jalapenos diced
- 1/2 cup corn
- 2 tbsp spicy brown mustard
- 1 tbsp sriracha
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce or tamari
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- pinch of salt and pepper plus more for topping
- 6 burger buns
- OPTIONAL TOPPINGS: lettuce tomato, onion, spinach, jalapeños, banana peppers, BBQ sauce, vegan ranch, etc.
- Add onion and garlic to a small pan over medium heat with 1 tbsp. of water. Saute until veggies start to soften.**
- Scoop cooked veggies into a blender or food processor and pulse 2-3 times until combined, but not total mush.
- Add beans to a large bowl and mash with a potato masher or fork until about half of the beans are mashed and the other half are still intact.
- Add onion and garlic mixture to the bowl as well as remaining ingredients. Stir to combine.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Form mixture into 6 balls and flatten into patties.*** Place patties on baking sheet and put in the freezer for at least an hour.
- If you are going to eat them right away, heat a pan over medium heat. Coat with non-stick spray and add frozen patties. Cook until browned and warmed through (about 6-8 minutes per side).
- Serve on a burger bun, in a wrap or over a salad with your favorite toppings.
- If you plan to store the patties for later: remove baking sheet from the freezer after an hour and cut parchment paper into squares. Stack patties on top of each other (with a piece of parchment paper between each patty) and place in freezer proof container. When ready to serve, follow cooking instructions above - no need to thaw patties.
**If veggies start to stick to the pan, add additional water - 1 tbsp. at a time.
***If mixture is too dry and patties aren't sticking, add 1 tbsp. of water at a time until they can easily form, but aren't too sticky or wet. You just want the patties to form, they will stick together completely once they are frozen.
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on one and make a purchase I will receive a small percentage of the sale. Please know I would never link a product unless I have personally used it and loved it!