Make your next Sunday dinner a showstopper with these Creamy Vegan Rosemary Mashed Potatoes. The perfect savory side dish.
Like I mentioned last week, I am going to be sharing one Vegan Thanksgiving recipe with you every week up until the big day.
Because vegans deserve delicious holiday food too!
Last week I shared with you the centerpiece of every Thanksgiving dinner - The Best Vegan Gravy.
This gravy takes so little work but delivers on flavor in a big way!
You will want to make this all the time once you realize how easy it is.
And this week we are moving onto gravy's BFF - mashed potatoes.
These aren't just any mashed potatoes though. They are creamy, potato clouds that are packed with fresh herbs, vegan butter and a whole lotta love. But seriously, these potatoes are to die for.
How to make Creamy Vegan Rosemary Mashed Potatoes
Fresh rosemary makes these a little different than your typical mashed potatoes. It is just enough flavor to tingle the tastebuds in the best way possible.
*I have a more traditional recipe that I shared last year - you can get that recipe here.
When I make mashed potatoes, I prefer to mash them by hand (rather than with an electric mixer). I think it keeps them from becoming over-whipped and starchy. Plus it really isn't that much more work.
You can get a hand masher pretty much anywhere. I think I got mine at Target - something similar to this.
My only other recommendation for this recipe is to use my favorite vegan butter - Earth Balance. It's not like there are that many options out there for vegan butter, but this one tastes the most like traditional butter and hence, will have your non-vegan Thanksgiving guests never knowing the difference!
Be sure to check back next week when I share my Traditional Vegan Dressing (stuffing) recipe!
Need more Thanksgiving inspo? Check out all of my recipes for the big day here.
Creamy Vegan Rosemary Mashed Potatoes
- 3 large russet potatoes
- ¼ cup vegan butter separated
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary finely chopped
- 1 cup non-dairy milk, unsweetened
- 4 oz vegan cream cheese*
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon seasoning salt**
- pepper to taste
- Peel potatoes and cut into 1" chunks. Place in a large pot and cover with water. Cover pot with the lid and place on the stove over high heat. Bring to a boil, remove cover and simmer until potatoes are fork tender (approx. 20-25 minutes).
- While potatoes are boiling. Place a pan on the stove over medium heat. Add 2 tbsp. of butter to the pan and stir until melted. Add minced garlic and rosemary to the pan and saute until garlic is tender (approx. 3-5 minutes). Remove from heat and set aside.
- Drain the potatoes and place them back in the pot on the stove with no heat. Add remaining butter, milk and cream cheese to the pot and mash potatoes with a potato masher. Do this until potatoes are completely smooth.
- Stir in garlic/rosemary mixture, garlic powder, pepper and seasoning salt. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Serve and enjoy!
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on one and make a purchase I will receive a small percentage of the sale. Please know I would never link a product unless I have personally used it and loved it!
Delicious! Thank you! I used Miyoko's cream cheese (favorite) and rice milk because it was open in the fridge and these potatoes were so good! Nobody will know they are vegan!
Yay! So glad you enjoyed them!
How many people does this recipe serve?
This should serve 6 people! I updated the recipe card so the servings are listed.