Creamy Vegan Pumpkin Bucatini
This Creamy Vegan Pumpkin Bucatini is filled with cherry tomatoes, spinach and garlic. This pasta is lightened up by using pumpkin puree and hummus for the creamy sauce.
Our pumpkin extravaganza continues today with this Creamy Vegan Pumpkin Bucatini. The perfect combo of delicious pasta, 2 types of tomatoes and a pumpkin/hummus sauce that is creamy, simple and delicious.
Yesterday I shared a recipe for Vegan Pumpkin and Sausage Stuffed Shells – be sure to check it out if you missed it.
You are going to love this recipe for all kinds of reasons, including:
- it has pumpkin in it…any reason to embrace the season, right?
- it takes less than 30 minutes to make. WIN!
- it makes for the best leftovers – hello, next day lunch.
How to make this Creamy Vegan Pumpkin Bucatini
Start by cooking your pasta. Boil the water, salt the water, cook the pasta, reserve the pasta water. You all know the drill.
While the pasta is cooking, start your sauce. To do this, add sun-dried tomatoes (with their oil), cherry tomatoes and seasonings to a pan. Cover those up until nice and tender. Next add some frozen spinach right from the bag (no need to thaw it out) and cover again.
Once your tomatoes are cooked and spinach is thawed, add your garlic, fresh herbs, pumpkin puree and hummus to the pan. Start stirring and get ready to eat.
Toss your pasta and sauce together, add pasta water if needed and then top with fresh herbs. I went with basil, but parsley would be nice too.
And that’s it. This pasta is warm and comforting while still being on the lighter side.
If you have any leftovers (which is doubtful), you will just want to add a splash of water and a tablespoon or two of hummus to your leftovers before reheating. This will loosen up the sauce and get it nice and creamy again.
Tips for making this Creamy Vegan Pumpkin Bucatini
- You can use fresh spinach. You will just want to add it at the end of making the sauce.
- You can swap the spinach for kale. Again, just add it at the end and let it wilt.
- I like to use plain hummus, but you can use whatever flavor you love.
- You can swap out the bucatini for your favorite pasta. BUT, if you can find bucatini I totally recommend it. It is the perfect middle ground between spaghetti and a thicker shell.
Step by Step video on how to make this Creamy Vegan Pumpkin Bucatini
Creamy Vegan Pumpkin Bucatini
- 8 oz bucatini or pasta of choice
- 4 oz sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil
- 1 tbsp oil from sun-dried tomatoes*
- 10 oz cherry tomatoes halved
- salt & pepper to taste
- red pepper flakes to taste, optional
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 8 oz frozen spinach unthawed
- 2 cloves garlic diced
- 1 tsp fresh thyme
- 3 sage leaves chopped
- 4 oz hummus
- 4 oz pumpkin puree
- fresh basil for topping
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add bucatini and cook according to package instructions. Before draining reserve 1 cup of pasta water.
- Place a pan on the stove over medium heat. Add sun-dried tomatoes, oil, cherry tomatoes, a pinch of salt & pepper, red pepper flakes and oregano to the pan and stir to combine. Cover and cook until tomatoes have softened (approx. 5 minutes).
- Add frozen spinach to the pan (no need to thaw) and cover again for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add the garlic, thyme, sage, hummus and pumpkin to the pan and stir to combine. Continue to heat until warm and bubbly. Turn heat off.
- Add hot pasta to the pan and toss to combine. If the sauce is too thick, add pasta water as needed. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Serve with fresh basil.
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on one and make a purchase I will receive a small percentage of the sale. Please know I would never link a product unless I have personally used it and loved it!