This Vegan Buffalo Cauliflower Orzo Mac and Cheese is creamy, dreamy comfort food. The perfect…
This Vegan Pumpkin Mac and Cheese is creamy and decadent – made with a pumpkin cauliflower sauce that is healthy & delicious. Nut-free. Potato-free. Carrot-free.
This Vegan Pumpkin Mac and Cheese might be my new favorite pasta recipe. It is so freaking good and weirdly healthy. You wouldn’t know that this creamy sauce is actually made from CAULIFLOWER!
You need to add this mac to your Fall dinner rotation or even serve it at Thanksgiving. I’m telling you, no one will know it’s vegan!
Cauliflower cream sauce, what???
Yep, this creamy sauce is made from our good old friend cauliflower. Is there anything that veggie can’t do?
Some things you WON’T find in this creamy sauce are cashews, potatoes, carrots, nutritional yeast or fake cheese!
And to be honest, a cauliflower cream sauce is not a new concept here on TSV. I’ve used it to make the best Alfredo Pasta with broccolini and this Chicken Alfredo Pasta. It is one of my favorite ways to make a creamy (and healthy) sauce.
Now, when I saw this orange beauty at the store, I knew exactly what I wanted to make with it…mac and cheese! The orange cauliflower is not necessary – you can use a regular cauliflower as well. But it just gives it an extra burst of “mac and cheese” color that is irresistible.
Can this Vegan Pumpkin Mac and Cheese be made ahead of time?
Yes, you can definitely make this ahead of time and reheat before serving. This makes A LOT of sauce. And when it comes to mac & cheese, too much sauce is never an issue.
You can also make the sauce ahead of time and then cook up the pasta right before serving. This will ensure everything stays hot and creamy.
To serve, I like to add additional pepper and maybe even some fried sage. I also tried this with some everything but the bagel seasoning and it was 🙌
Vegan Pumpkin Mac and Cheese
FOR THE CAULIFLOWER SAUCE
- 1 head cauliflower about 4 heaping cups, cut in florets, I used orange cauliflower but white works too
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- 1 shallot diced
- 4 cloves garlic diced
- 3 sage leaves diced
- 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk unsweetened
- 3/4 cup broth*
- lemon juice & zest to taste**
- salt & pepper to taste
FOR THE PASTA
- 1 lb pasta shells
- fried sage, everything but the bagel seasoning, parsley, hot sauce optional toppings
- Add cauliflower to a large pot and fill with water. Cover with a lid and bring to a boil. Once boiling, remove the lid and lower heat to a simmer. Cook cauliflower until fork tender (approx. 10 minutes). Drain and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- While the cauliflower is cooking melt the vegan butter in a pan over medium heat. Add the shallot, garlic & sage and sauté until tender (approx. 5 minutes). Remove from the heat and set aside.
- To a blender, add the cooked cauliflower, pumpkin puree, non-dairy milk, broth, lemon zest, lemon juice, a healthy pinch of salt & pepper and the cooked shallot/garlic mixture. Blend until smooth and set aside.***
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook according to the package instructions. Drain and place the pot back on the stove with no heat.
- Add the hot pasta back to the empty pan and pour your desired amount of sauce over the pasta. Toss to combine and heat through – if needed turn heat to low until hot. Taste and add more salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with optional toppings.
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on one and make a purchase I will receive a small percentage of the sale. Please know I would never link a product unless I have personally used it and loved it!