Creamy Vegan Broccoli & Shells
This Creamy Vegan Broccoli & Shells dish is made in one-pot and topped with crispy shallots for the perfect crunch. An easy vegan dinner!
Creamy pasta. One pot. Crispy shallots. Veggies. Need I say more? This pasta recipe is great for when you are short on time, but want something decadent and delicious – and with veggies, of course. The perfect weeknight dinner!
Starting at the End
One of the tastier parts of this recipe is the topping – crispy shallots. But to make things easier (and reuse the oil), the shallots are the first thing to cook. I opted to cook my shallots in a small skillet, but you could also make them in the stock pot the pasta will be made in.
Just heat some oil, cook the sliced shallots until browned, remove from the skillet and set aside. Reserve the oil so that it can be used in the pasta.
How to Make One Pot Pasta
Reheat that shallot oil and add onion & garlic. Cook for a few minutes, then add in the dry seasonings and fresh thyme. Let this cook for a couple more minutes, then pour in the dry pasta, broccoli florets, broth and non-dairy milk. Bring this to a boil and stir, stir, stir.
Once the liquid has been absorbed and the pasta is al dente, add in the non-dairy cream, vegan parm and vegan cream cheese. This is the part where I need you to trust the process. It might seem like the pasta isn’t going to fully cook, but trust me, it will get there. Continue to stir and simmer for another 5 minutes – or until the pasta is fully tender.
Serve it Up
Now it is time to eat! Serve the pasta & broccoli hot and top with the crispy shallots. This pasta is creamy, delicious and a one-pot recipe you don’t want to miss.
For the leftovers you can reheat with a little bit of non-dairy milk to loosen things up again.
Need More Recipe Inspo? Check these Out!
Did you Make this Recipe?
If you made these Creamy Vegan Broccoli & Shells I would LOVE to hear what you thought. Be sure to drop a comment and a rating below! You can also tag me on social media if you snapped a photo. I LOVE seeing your recreations!
Creamy Vegan Broccoli & Shells
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 shallots sliced in rounds
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic diced
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme chopped
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 3/4 pound pasta shells dry
- 2 cups broth I used vegan chicken broth
- 1 cup non-dairy milk unsweetened
- 1 cup non-dairy cream I used Ripple
- 1/2 cup vegan parmesan
- 2 tablespoons vegan cream cheese
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat and add the shallots. Cook for a few minutes, turning frequently, until crispy. Remove from the skillet and reserve the remaining oil.
- Add the reserved oil to a large stock pot over medium heat. Add the onion & garlic and cook for 3 minutes. Stir in the dry seasonings & thyme and cook for 2 more minutes. Pour in the pasta, broccoli, broth and milk. Bring to a boil, then simmer until the pasta has absorbed all of the liquid – be sure to stir frequently, so that all of the pasta gets cooked. This should take 8-10 minutes.
- Stir in the cream, parmesan and cream cheese. Continue to cook until the pasta is completely tender (approx. 5 minutes), stirring frequently. Taste and adjust salt and pepper as needed.
- Serve hot with the crispy shallots on top.