This Vegan Mushroom & Shallot White Pizza is better than takeout! Plenty of herbs, sun-dried tomatoes, creamy sauce & caramelized mushrooms!
Are you ready for restaurant quality pizza at home...but super easy to make??? I've got you. Because this pizza is seriously mouthwatering and better than any vegan pizza I've ever ordered. I've got some tricks up my sleeve to get you a super yummy "cheese" without vegan cheese shreds and a "sauce" you might not expect on a pizza.
Cooking up the mushrooms and shallots
While the dough is resting (I always use pre-made dough) and the oven is pre-heating, the mushrooms and shallots are going to get a quick browning. Now...you want them to caramelize, but you definitely don't want them to burn or overcook. So keep an eye on them, and don't overdo it.
I also cooked them up in the oil from a sun-dried tomato jar. This gives them an extra layer of flavor!
What kind of sauce to use on Vegan Mushroom & Shallot White Pizza
This pizza doesn't have a traditional sauce. Instead we are going to use herbs, oil and garlic to create a tasty base for all of the other toppings.
Again, I used the oil from a sun-dried tomato jar in addition to a clove of garlic, fresh thyme & basil. You could swap out the fresh herbs depending on what you have on hand. But this "sauce" adds so much flavor. It is mind blowing!
How to make the "cheese" for this Vegan Mushroom & Shallot White Pizza
I'm bringing back one of my favorite vegan cheese techniques - vegan cream cheese & vegan creamer. I swear by this combo. It starts out as a liquid and cooks into a faux-mozzarella. It is basically magic.
How to serve this Vegan Mushroom & Shallot White Pizza
After the pizza is assembled and cooked it is time for my favorite part...extra toppings! I'm talking about the toppings you put on after it comes out of the oven.
I went for arugula, basil, red pepper flakes, a sprinkle of salt and a drizzle of olive oil. You can do all of these (like me) or add your favorites. It will be delicious no matter what!
Vegan Mushroom & Shallot White Pizza
- 1 16-ounce package pre-made pizza dough
- flour for rolling out dough
- 3 tbsp sun-dried tomato oil from the jar, separated
- 4 shiitake mushrooms stems removed and thinly sliced
- 1 shallot thinly sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh basil chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 4 tablespoon vegan cream cheese
- 3 tablespoon vegan creamer* unsweetened
- ¼ cup sun-dried tomatoes roughly chopped, oil drained
- arugula, olive oil, basil, red pepper flakes for serving
- Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and preheat the oven to 500 degrees. Allow the dough to come to room temperature and the oven to preheat for 30 minutes.
- While the dough is resting, add 1 tablespoon of the sun-dried tomato oil to a pan over medium heat. Add the mushrooms, shallots and a pinch of pepper and stir to combine. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring only a couple of times. Add a pinch of salt and cook for a couple more minutes.** Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoon of oil to a bowl with the thyme, basil & garlic. Stir to combine and set aside.
- Combine the cream cheese and creamer in a bowl and whisk until smooth. Set aside.
- To assemble spread out the dough on a lightly oiled baking sheet. Spread out to your desired shape. Spread the oil/herb mixture out on the dough. Top with the sun-dried tomatoes. Drizzle the cream cheese mixture over the tomatoes. Finally, spread out the mushrooms/shallots over the top. Place in the oven and bake for 10 minutes. Rotate the pizza and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and top with arugula, basil, red pepper flakes, a pinch of salt & a drizzle of olive oil (optional). Slice and serve!
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on one and make a purchase I will receive a small percentage of the sale. Please know I would never link a product unless I have personally used it and loved it!