Crispy Mushroom Stir-Fry Bowls
These Crispy Mushroom Stir-Fry Bowls are perfection! So much flavor, the best homemade vegan stir-fry sauce and plenty of veggies to fill you up!
I cannot tell you how excited I am to share this recipe with you! The mushrooms are crispy perfection – if you don’t think you like mushrooms, you need to try them this way! The sauce is savory and delicious. And the addition of bell pepper, shallots and garlic make this meal impossible to put down. If you are looking for a veggie-forward dinner that can replace your normal take-out, look no further!
How to make crispy mushrooms
Mushrooms have always been a tricky one for me – until I learned how to cook them, that is. For me, the only way to eat mushrooms is when they are thinly sliced and made extra crispy. Which is exactly what we are doing with this recipe.
And, let me tell you, you don’t need a lot of oil to get crispy mushrooms. Instead, you just need to coat them in cornstarch, get the oil super hot, and be sure not to flip them too often. Just let them sit in the pan and do their thing. I know it can be hard not to stir, but trust me, resist the urge and they will get nice and browned.
How to make the bowls
Once the mushrooms are crispy and delicious, remove them from the pan and cook up the other veggies in some sesame oil – shallot, garlic, bell pepper and serrano (if you like it spicy). When the veggies start to get tender pour in my homemade stir-fry sauce and let everything get bubbly.
Right before serving, add the mushrooms back to the pan and toss with the sauce. And that’s it. You are ready to eat!
How to serve Crispy Mushroom Stir-Fry Bowls
When you look in the pan of veggies it’s going to seem like there is a lot of sauce. But that’s where the rice comes in. Spoon the veggies and sauce over a big bowl of rice and let that sauce seep down into the rice. It is beyond delicious!
To finish these bowls off, top them with lots of green onion, more serrano and plenty of lime wedges. These bowls do not disappoint!
Need more recipe inspo? Check these out:
Crispy Mushroom Stir-Fry Bowls
FOR THE SAUCE
FOR THE MUSHROOMS
- 6 oz shiitake mushrooms thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tbsp cornstarch plus more if needed
- neutral oil for frying
FOR THE BOWLS
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 shallots sliced
- 4 cloves garlic diced
- 2 small red bell peppers or 1 large, diced
- 1 serrano pepper diced, optional
- 2 cups cooked rice
- green onion, lime wedges for serving
- Combine the sauce ingredients in a bowl, stir and set aside.
- Add the mushrooms to a bowl and drizzle with soy sauce. Add the cornstarch and toss to coat evenly. Add more cornstarch as needed so that all of the pieces are lightly coated. Heat some oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and spread into an even layer. Let the mushrooms sit undisturbed until browned on the bottom (approx. 3-5 minutes). Flip* and allow the other side to brown. Remove from the pan.
- Place the empty pan back on the stove over medium heat. Add the sesame oil, shallots, garlic, bell peppers and serrano peppers. Cook, stirring frequently, until the veggies become slightly tender (approx. 3-5 minutes). Add the sauce to the pan** and allow it to get bubbly. Add the mushrooms back to the pan and toss to coat.
- Remove from the heat and serve over rice with green onion and lime wedges.
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on one and make a purchase I will receive a small percentage of the sale. Please know I would never link a product unless I have personally used it and loved it!