Coconut Curry Chickpeas
These Coconut Curry Chickpeas are vegan comfort food in a bowl. The chickpeas are braised in a coconut curry sauce and served over rice. Quick, easy, delicious dinner!
This is one of those recipes you will want to eat over and over again. It is ready in less than 30 minutes, is made using pantry staples and is beyond comforting. These Coconut Curry Chickpeas are savory, hearty and totally comforting. The perfect cozy vegan dinner!
Step One: Cook the Veggies
The first step is cooking down the veggies with LOTS of seasoning. Here is what you’ll need:
- vegan butter
- yellow onion
- fresh ginger
- yellow curry powder
- red pepper flakes
Melt the vegan butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, ginger and dry seasonings. Cook down for 3 minutes.
While I kept the veggies super basic in this recipe, you can totally load this up with as many extra veggies as you want. Some veggies that I would add are: spinach, kale, zucchini, bell pepper or broccoli.
Step Two: Braise the Chickpeas
To finish off the sauce, pour in a can of crushed tomatoes, a can of coconut milk and a splash of soy sauce. Bring this to a boil and add in two cans of drained & rinsed chickpeas. Lower the heat and simmer the chickpeas for about 15 minutes. The sauce should thicken as it cooks!
Before serving add some chopped cilantro and give the sauce one last taste. You can add salt or more soy sauce as needed.
Step Three: Serve
When it comes to serving these coconut curry chickpeas, I like to eat them over hot rice with naan on the side. The naan is perfect for dipping and scooping up all of that delicious sauce.
The sauce is creamy and flavor-packed. The chickpeas are tender. This is the perfect dinner when you want something cozy but don’t want to spend too much time in the kitchen!
If need more recipe inspo, check these out:
Coconut Curry Chickpeas
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter or sub olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger minced
- 1 tablespoon yellow curry powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- salt to taste
- 1 15-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 15-ounce can coconut milk
- 1-2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce to taste
- 2 15-ounce cans chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons cilantro chopped
- 2 cups cooked rice for serving
- naan for serving
- Melt the vegan butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, ginger and dry seasonings. Cook down for 3 minutes.
- Pour in the crushed tomatoes, coconut milk and soy sauce. Bring to a boil, add in the chickpeas, lower the heat and simmer for 15 minutes. The sauce should thicken as it simmers. Stir in the cilantro, taste and adjust the seasonings as needed.
- Serve hot over rice with naan on the side.