These Mediterranean Braised Chickpea Rice Bowls are loaded with cherry tomatoes, sun-dried tomatoes, spinach & a creamy hummus sauce that is super tasty. Simple and delish!
This recipe has been a staple in my kitchen for the last couple years, and I am just getting around to sharing it with all of you. It is one of those quick weeknight dinners that is satisfying AND healthy. PLUS it makes the best leftovers.
The idea for this recipe came from my Hummus Chickpea Pasta – another staple in my house. There was a day I was craving the flavor of that pasta, but wanted something lighter. So I ditched the pasta and just made the chickpea sauce. It was a magical creation that I find myself eating at least a couple times a month.
How to Make Mediterranean Braised Chickpea Rice Bowls
The braised chickpeas are seriously one of the easiest things you will every make. You just need one pan and a handful of ingredients.
First, you are going to cook up some cherry tomatoes. Once they are nice and tender add the seasonings, sun-dried tomatoes, spinach, chickpeas and some water. Let that cook down for a few minutes so all of the flavors can come together.
Lastly, add hummus (I used plain) and garlic to the pan and stir until heated through. That’s it! You are ready to eat.
Spoon the chickpeas over a pile of hot rice and top it off with fresh parsley. Serve with lemon wedges and get to eating.
This tastes even better the next day – make a batch for meal prepping and you will have lunch ready to go in the fridge!
Mediterranean Braised Chickpea Rice Bowls
- 1 cup white rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 10 oz cherry tomatoes halved
- salt & pepper to taste
- red pepper flakes optional
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas drained & rinsed
- 4 oz sun-dried tomatoes I used dry
- 8 oz frozen, chopped spinach unthawed
- 1-2 tbsp Italian seasoning to taste
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 cloves garlic diced
- 4 oz hummus I used plain
- lemon wedges, parsley for serving
- Add the rice and water to a pot. Bring to a boil, cover and lower heat. Steam until all of the water has been absorbed – around 15 minutes.
- While the rice is cooking prepare the chickpeas. Heat the olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the cherry tomatoes and a pinch of salt, pepper & red pepper flakes. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring freequently. Cover and turn heat to low. Cook until the tomatoes are tender (approx. 5 minutes).
- Add the chickpeas, sun-dried tomatoes, spinach, Italian seasoning and water to the pan. Stir to combine and bring to a boil. Cover and lower heat. Cook for an additional 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and hummus to the pan and stir to combine. Cook until heated through. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Add rice to bowls and top with the chickpeas. Serve with parsley and lemon wedges.
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on one and make a purchase I will receive a small percentage of the sale. Please know I would never link a product unless I have personally used it and loved it!