Zucchini & Corn Pesto Pitas
These Zucchini & Corn Pesto Pitas have sautéed summer veggies, chickpeas, roasted red pepper pesto, warm pita bread & fresh herbs. A great lunch or dinner idea!
Nothing goes together better than summer veggies and pesto. And pita bread is the perfect vehicle for both of those things. These Zucchini & Corn Pesto Pitas have a layer of roasted red pepper pesto, sautéed zucchini, corn & chickpeas and are topped with non-dairy yogurt & fresh herbs. There are delicious bits in every bite!
Step One: Make the Pesto
I love a roasted red pepper pesto. I’ve used it in sandwiches before and it adds the perfect amount of freshness to these pitas. It only requires a few ingredients:
- roasted red peppers
- basil leaves
- salt & pepper
- sun-dried tomatoes
Add everything to a food processor and pulse until combined. Give it a taste and adjust any of the seasonings you need to. Set it aside and let’s work on the veggies.
Step Two: Make the Veggies
To make the veggies, heat some oil in a skillet and add cubed zucchini, minced garlic, a can of drained chickpeas and some dry seasonings. Give everything a mix and let it cook down for 5 minutes, stirring every couple minutes. You want there to be some nice charred edges on the zucchini.
Next, add the corn and cook until heated through. I used thawed, frozen corn. If you use fresh corn, be sure to add it to the skillet at the same time as the zucchini.
Don’t add salt until the veggies are done cooking – this will keep the zucchini from expressing water.
Step Three: Assemble
While the veggies are cooking, toast the pita bread. Spread a good amount of pesto on each piece of pita and top it off with the veggies & chickpeas.
Sprinkle on some fresh herbs – I used parsley & basil. I also added a little non-dairy yogurt. It adds some tangy freshness to the whole recipe.
These pitas make a great lunch or quick dinner. The perfect summer recipe!
Need More Recipe Inspo? Check these Out!
Zucchini & Corn Pesto Pitas
FOR THE ROASTED RED PEPPER PESTO
- Add all of the pesto ingredients to a food processor and pulse until combined. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the zucchini, chickpeas, onion powder and dried basil. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the corn (see notes) and toss until heated through. Add salt to taste.
- While the veggies are cooking, toast the pita bread.
- To assemble, spread some pesto on each pita and top with the veggie/chickpea mixture. Sprinkle on some fresh herbs and non-dairy yogurt.
- I used thawed, frozen corn. If you use fresh corn off the cob, add it at the same time as the zucchini so it has enough time to cook.
- Be sure not to add salt until right before serving. If you add it at the beginning it will draw the water out of the zucchini.