I'm sad to say our Week of Arugula is coming to an end. sigh. But…
This Wild Rice Arugula Salad is topped with sliced almonds, dried cranberries & a homemade vinaigrette. Perfect winter salad.
Just because it is salad season, it doesn’t mean that they have to be boring. And this Wild Rice Arugula Salad is anything but boring.
Let’s start with the main component – wild rice. Wild rice is different than any other kind of rice out there. It is earthy and flavorful and totally delicious. I got mine at Trader Joe’s but you can find it online here.
The trick to cooking wild rice (which takes 60+ minutes, by the way) is to swap out half of the cooking water with broth. This gives the rice so much flavor. I obviously went with my go to vegan chicken broth – which you can find here. But you can also use veggie broth.
As for the rest of the salad, it is pretty straight forward.
Round up your greens, sliced almonds and dried cranberries and toss them in a bowl. Whip up the dressing – which only has a few staple ingredients – and call it a day.
This salad is the perfect side dish, or add some homemade falafel to this to make it a complete meal.
You will get peppery, earthy and sweet flavors all in one salad.
Wild Rice Arugula Salad
- 1/2 cup wild rice dry
- vegan broth
- 4 cups arugula
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
FOR THE DRESSING
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- pepper to taste
- garlic salt to taste
- Prepare the wild rice according to the package instructions.* Wild rice takes longer than traditional rice to cook – expect it to take at least 60 minutes.
- While the rice is cooking, combine the rest of the salad ingredients in a bowl. Toss to combine and place in the fridge.
- Prepare the dressing by combining all of the ingredients in a bowl and whisk together. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed. Set aside until ready to use.
- To serve, add the cooked wild rice** to the salad and drizzle with the dressing. Toss and serve.
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on one and make a purchase I will receive a small percentage of the sale. Please know I would never link a product unless I have personally used it and loved it!