Vegan-ize a classic with this Simple Vegan Caprese Salad. This is a perfect appetizer or…
Making this Mediterranean favorite at home is quick and easy with this Simple Crispy Vegan Falafel recipe. Perfectly crisp on the outside and moist on the inside.
I have been wanting to share this Simple Crispy Vegan Falafel recipe with you for soooooo long now. These little nuggets are not only super healthy, they are also protein-packed and tasty. Oh, and easy to make at home.
If you’ve never had falafel before, now is the time to try it.
Just imagine all of your favorite mediterranean flavors combined to make a dough, then fried until perfectly crispy on the outside and moist on the inside. Sounds pretty good, right?
So what are these mediterranean flavors I’m talking about?
Chickpeas, onion, garlic, parsley, cilantro, cumin, coriander.
Basically, lots of fresh herbs and some potent dried herbs. The combination makes for a flavor that is both bright and deep.
I really upped the amount of spices I used in these (compared to other recipes I’ve seen) and I think it makes these stand out in the best way possible. Why skimp on flavor?
Now when it comes to frying vs baking. You 100% need to fry these. Even if it is just with a small amount of oil in a pan (even though my directions call for a full fry). Baking these just doesn’t give them that “crunch” factor I’m always talking about.
I also think baking these dries them out too much. You really want the center to stay moist and frying helps you achieve that.
To serve these you have a few different options. First thing you’ll want to do is whip up a batch of The Best Tahini Dressing. This creamy, tangy dressing is the perfect partner for falafel.
You can eat these as a snack or appetizer (just make sure to serve them with that dressing). Or add them to a pita sandwich with some veggies (oh, and some of that tahini dressing…did I mention it is the BEST dressing). These also go great in a salad. Tomorrow I’ll be sharing my favorite falafel salad recipe. Be on the lookout.
Simple Crispy Vegan Falafel
- 1 14-ounce can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1/2 onion roughly chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup cilantro loosely packed and chopped
- 1/4 cup parsley loosely packed and chopped
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 4 tbsp flour plus more for rolling out
- oil for frying
- Add chickpeas, onion and garlic to a food processor. Pulse until combined – you still want it to be chunky.
- Add cilantro, parsley, cumin, coriander, red pepper flakes, salt & pepper to the food processor and pulse until everything is combined – you want it to be slightly smoother, but still a little chunky.
- Sprinkle baking powder and flour over the mixture and pulse a final time. You want the mixture to form into a ball that is not too sticky.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Sprinkle some flour on your hands and form the dough into 12 balls. Place them on the baking sheet and flatten into thick discs.
- Add an inch of oil to a pan and heat to 375 degrees. Working in batches, add falafel to the pan. Once browned on the bottom, flip and brown the other side. Place on a paper towel lined plate and allow excess oil to drain.
- Repeat with remaining falafel.
- Serve in a sandwich, over a salad or individually with Tahini Dressing.
- Store in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on one and make a purchase I will receive a small percentage of the sale. Please know I would never link a product unless I have personally used it and loved it!