This Vegan Tofu Shakshuka is a traditional North African & Middle Eastern breakfast that we're vegan-izing with tofu in place of eggs.
Shakshuka originated in North Africa and is a classic recipe seen throughout the Middle East. The word "shakshuka" is an Arabic term for "a mixture", which is pretty spot on when it comes to this recipe. And while this is typically an egg dish, we're swapping those out for thinly sliced tofu. Because, well, we're vegan.
How to make Vegan Tofu Shakshuka
There are LOTS of variations when it comes to making shakshuka and you can explore ways to make this recipe your own. But, as listed, this will give you a great base to try out all different kinds of spin-offs.
The base of this recipe is onions, garlic, red bell pepper and seasonings. Cook all of this down in some olive oil for 5 minutes. You want everything to smell good and be tender.
Add in a can of crushed tomatoes - you could use whole, and smash them yourself, but why put in that work?!? Season with salt and simmer for 5 more minutes.
That's it. The base is ready to go.
How to cut the tofu
Before slicing into your firm tofu, make sure it is drained and pressed. The less liquid the better. I personally like placing the tofu block between two plates and let it sit while I prep everything else.
Depending on how many people you're serving and how big your skillet is, you can use a whole block or ½ a block. Because I cut mine into cute little circles with a biscuit cutter (not necessary), I only used ½ a block and reserved the extra for another recipe. But feel free to just cut the entire thing into 8 squares and use it all.
No matter how you slice it (literally), just be sure the slices are about ½" thin.
Finish it off
Now that the sauce has simmered and the tofu is cut. Gently place the tofu slices into the sauce, cover the skillet and simmer for another 10 minutes.
Remove the lid and top it off with TONS of fresh parsley & cilantro. You also have the option to add some crumbled vegan cheese. Not necessary, but totally tasty.
This is technically a breakfast recipe, but is good ANY time of the day. You get lots of protein from the tofu, plenty of veggies and tons of flavor. Because this is extra saucy, it is best served with some crusty bread on the side.
Need more recipe inspo? Check these out:
Vegan Tofu Shakshuka
- 1 block firm tofu drained & pressed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion finely diced
- 1 red bell pepper finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic finely diced
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- red pepper flakes optional, to taste
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes I used fire roasted
- salt to taste
- parsley & cilantro chopped
- vegan cheese optional, I used Miyokos chive cheese wheel
- crusty bread for serving
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, bell pepper, garlic and seasonings. Stir to combine and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the crushed tomatoes and a pinch of salt. Stir to combine and simmer for 5 more minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut the tofu into ½" slices.*
- Gently place the tofu slices into the sauce, cover and simmer on low heat for 10 minutes.
- Remove the lid, add parsley, cilantro and vegan cheese (if using). Serve hot with crusty bread on the side.
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on one and make a purchase I will receive a small percentage of the sale. Please know I would never link a product unless I have personally used it and loved it!
I am so excited to try this. I will make this today. I have missed eggs the most. This will be delicious ! Thank you for all your wonderful recipes. Them them all !!