Vegan Asian Chicken Wings
These Vegan Asian Chicken Wings are made out of soy curls, coated in panko and air fried until crispy. Served up with a sweet and spicy sauce!
I have spent quite some time perfecting this recipe. And I just have to say that these are the closest thing I’ve had to vegan chicken wings at home without all of the additives that you find in the frozen section. They are full of flavor, cooked until crispy and the sauce is so…freaking…good!
How to Make Vegan Chicken Wings
This recipe does require a few steps and some time, but I promise you it is worth it! Start out by soaking the soy curls in hot water for 10 minutes. Drain them and press out as much liquid as possible. If there are any large pieces, take some scissors and cut them up.
In a bowl, combine flour, non-dairy milk, red curry paste and ginger powder. Add the soaked soy curls and toss to coat. Place them in the freezer for 30 minutes – don’t let them sit longer than 30 minutes. The goal isn’t to freeze them, it is to firm the batter up so they are easier to shape.
The breading is a combo of panko, shredded coconut, garlic salt and pepper. Add it all to a shallow dish and toss to combine.
To make the wings, scoop out about 2 tablespoons of soy curls and press them together in your hands – if the batter is too wet, you can add 1-2 more tablespoons of flour to the bowl. This is a VERY messy process, but you just need to trust me (and be prepared to rinse your hands between each step). I like to form 3-4 wings, place them in the breading, rinse/dry my hands, then press the breading into the wings. You really need to get in there with your hands so that it sticks.
Repeat this process until all of the wings have been formed. Place them in the air fryer basket (see recipe notes for baking) and spray with oil. Air fry for 8 minutes, flip and then another 2-7 minutes.
How to Make Sweet & Spicy Sauce
While the wings are cooking, prep the sauce. Heat some sesame oil in a sauce pan and add ginger, garlic and the whites of green onion. Pour in a combo of soy sauce, sriracha and agave. Let this come to a boil, turn off the heat and squeeze in some lime juice.
Pour the sauce into a bowl and set aside until the wings are done.
How to Serve Vegan Wings
Plate the cooked vegan wings and drizzle over the sauce. Top with sesame seeds and the remaining green onion. I like to dunk these in sweet chili sauce. It is just the perfect combo of flavors.
These are best eaten right away so that they keep their crunch. But if you have leftovers, just pop them back in the air fryer for about 5 minutes and they will crisp back up.
You can serve these as an appetizer. I’ve also eaten them in wraps and over salads. They are so tasty in just about everything!
Need More Recipe Inspo? Check these Out!
Did you Make this Recipe?
If you made these Vegan Asian Chicken Wings I would LOVE to hear what you thought. Be sure to drop a comment and a rating below! You can also tag me on social media if you snapped a photo. I LOVE seeing your recreations!
Vegan Asian Chicken Wings
FOR THE VEGAN CHICKEN WINGS
FOR THE SWEET & SOUR SAUCE
- sesame seeds
- sweet chili sauce
- Add the soy curls to a bowl and cover with boiling water. Allow to sit for 10 minutes. Drain the soy curls and rinse with cold water. Use your hands to squeeze out as much water as possible.**
- Combine the non-dairy milk, flour, red curry paste and ginger powder in a bowl. Whisk to combine. Add the drained soy curls and toss to combine. Place in the freezer for 30 minutes.***
- Meanwhile, combine the panko, coconut, garlic salt and pepper in a shallow bowl.
- Remove the soy curls from the freezer. Spoon out 2-3 tablespoons of soy curls and press together in your hands and place in the panko breading.**** Use your hands to really press the breading into the wings. Transfer the completed wings to an air fryer basket and repeat with the rest of the ingredients.
- Spray the completed wings with oil and place in the air fryer at 380 for 8 minutes. Flip and cook for another 2-7 minutes, depending on how crispy you like them.
- While the wings are cooking, prepare the sauce. Heat the sesame oil in a sauce pan over medium heat. Add the garlic, ginger and whites of the green onions. Cook for about 60 seconds. Add the rest of the ingredients and bring to a gentle boil. Remove from the heat and transfer to a bowl.
- To serve, place the finished wings on a platter and spoon over the sauce. Top with sesame seeds and the remaining green onion. Serve with sweet chili sauce on the side.