Eggplant Meatballs in Coconut Curry Sauce
These Eggplant Meatballs in Coconut Curry Sauce are the hearty, savory dinner of your dreams. Served over rice with plenty of fresh cilantro!
This recipe has everything you need for the PERFECT vegan dinner! The meatballs are made with lentils, brown rice & roasted eggplant. They are baked until browned, then heated through in a red curry coconut sauce. Then they are served over rice with a sprinkle of fresh cilantro and a lime wedge on the side.
These meatballs are comforting, delicious and filling.
How to make eggplant meatballs
First things first. The meatballs. Peel a medium eggplant and cube it. Place it on a baking sheet with some olive oil, salt & pepper. Roast for 30 minutes at 375, or until tender. Once the eggplant has cooled slightly, add it to a food processor with cooked lentils, cooked brown rice, red curry paste, garlic, shallot and cilantro. Pulse until it looks kinda like ground meat.
Add the mixture to a bowl with breadcrumbs and mix until combined. Place it in the fridge for 20 minutes. This will make it easier to form into balls.
Once chilled, use a cookie scoop (or eyeball it) to make 15-20 meatballs. Place them on a baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until browned.
How to make red curry coconut sauce
While the meatballs are cooking, it is time to make the sauce. Start by heating some sesame oil in a pan with garlic, shallot, bell peppers and ginger powder. Let this cook down for 8-ish minutes, or until everything is tender.
Add in the red curry paste, peanut butter, coconut milk and soy sauce. Give it a stir and let the flavors combine.
Pull the meatballs out of the oven and add them to the sauce. Be sure to spoon the sauce over the meatballs. Let them simmer for about 5 minutes. The sauce will thicken.
How to serve Eggplant Meatballs in Coconut Curry Sauce
Right before serving squeeze some fresh lime juice into the sauce and add a handful of chopped cilantro. Give everything one last toss.
Serve the meatballs over rice and add more cilantro. I also like to add a lime wedge to each bowl. Dig in while everything is hot! These meatballs are so delicious and also make great leftovers!
Need more recipe inspo? Check these out:
Eggplant Meatballs in Coconut Curry Sauce
FOR THE MEATBALLS
FOR THE CURRY SAUCE
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 cloves garlic diced
- 1 shallot diced
- 1 red bell pepper sliced in strips
- 1 yellow bell pepper sliced in strips
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger powder
- 2 tablespoons red curry paste
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter
- 1 15-ounce can coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 lime juiced
- 2 tablespoons cilantro chopped
- rice, lime wedges, cilantro for serving
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Peel and cube the eggplant. Place it on the baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil, salt & pepper. Place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes, flipping halfway. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes.
- Add the eggplant, lentils, brown rice, garlic, shallot, red curry paste and cilantro to a food processor. Pulse until combined and looks slightly like ground meat. Transfer to a mixing bowl and add the bread crumbs. Stir to combine. Taste and add salt if needed. Place in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Use a cookie scoop to make 15-20 meatballs and place them on the baking sheet. Spray with olive oil and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until browned. Remove from the oven.
- Meanwhile, heat the sesame oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the garlic, shallot, bell peppers and ginger powder. Cook for 8 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the curry paste & peanut butter and stir to combine. Pour in the coconut milk and soy sauce.
- Add the meatballs to the sauce and simmer for 5 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened. Add the lime juice & cilantro and stir to combine. Serve the meatballs over rice with more cilantro and lime wedges.
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on one and make a purchase I will receive a small percentage of the sale. Please know I would never link a product unless I have personally used it and loved it!