These Spicy Potato Kale Bowls with Mustard Tahini Dressing are the perfect Fall meal. Crispy potatoes, red onion, marinated kale and a delicious creamy dressing. Simple and healthy.
For a second I thought that San Diego was actually going to have a "Fall" this year. It was September and it is was in the 60s during the day. I was wearing sweaters, lighting pumpkin candles...in Fall heaven. But then the clouds parted and we got hit with 80 degree weather again. I know...woe is me. But I was really enjoying that cool weather.
Well, at least we can still pretend it is cold out by making some Fall meals. Yesterday, I shared the first soup recipe of the season - Vegan Enchilada Soup. And today we are whipping up one of my favorite go-to dinners. Spicy Potato Kale Bowls with Mustard Tahini Dressing!
To start these off, we will roast some potatoes with red onion, bell pepper and jalapeño - all seasoned to perfection.
While the potatoes are roasting, we will make the dressing and get our kale nice and marinated.
This dressing is a slight deviation from another one of my recipes - The Best Tahini Dressing. Which according to some of your reviews, was just too tart. I guess I like a vinegar-heavy dressing, because it is my favorite dressing, like, ever. BUT, to accommodate everyone's palate I have dialed back the vinegar in this dressing. As with everything, taste as you go and adjust to your liking.
To marinate your kale, drizzle some lemon juice over the chopped kale and get to massaging. Make love to your kale. With your hands, that is. This will make it nice and soft and super easy to eat.
Once the potatoes are nice and crispy, and the veggies are soft, sprinkle them with some salt and assemble your bowls.
Layer the marinated kale, raw red onions and the roasted potatoes in some bowls and top them off with that mustard tahini dressing.
This meal is like Fall in a bowl. So no matter what the weather is like, we can at least eat our way through the season.
SHOP THE POST
Spicy Potato Kale Bowls with Mustard Tahini Dressing
FOR THE POTATOES
- 1 lb yellow potatoes cut in bite-sized pieces
- 1 red onion diced and separated
- 1 jalapeño diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp chili powder
- salt & pepper to taste
FOR THE DRESSING
- ½ cup tahini
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp yellow mustard
- lemon juice to taste
- 1 tsp oregano
- ½ tsp garlic salt
- pepper to taste
- water as needed
FOR THE SALAD
- 4 cups kale chopped and stems removed
- 1 lemon juiced
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine the potatoes, ½ of the red onion, jalapeño, bell pepper, olive oil, paprika and chili powder in a bowl. Stir to coat evenly. Spread mixture out on the baking sheet and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place in the oven and bake for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and flip. Cook for an additional 10-20 minutes*, or until potatoes are crispy and veggies are soft.
- While the potatoes are cooking, combine all of the dressing ingredients in a bowl and stir to combine. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Add water until desired consistency is reached. Place in the fridge until ready to use.
- After you make the dressing, place the kale in a large bowl and sprinkle with lemon juice. Massage for 30-60 seconds, or until the lemon juice is incorporated and the kale is soft. Place in the fridge until ready to use.
- Remove the potatoes from the oven and sprinkle with additional salt, if needed.
- Assemble bowls by layering kale, the remaining raw red onion and potatoes. Drizzle with dressing and serve.
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on one and make a purchase I will receive a small percentage of the sale. Please know I would never link a product unless I have personally used it and loved it!