This Vegan Enchilada Soup is loaded with fresh veggies and two types of beans - ready in 30 minutes and packed with tons of flavor!
Soup weather is here! And I have lots of tasty recipes that will be coming your way over the next couple months.
We're kicking off soup season with a simple and tasty one - Vegan Enchilada Soup! This soup is loaded with tons of fresh veggies, fiber-packed beans and lots of spices to make it extra flavorful. Plus it only takes 30 minutes to pull together.
As with all of my recipes, this one is super versatile. Swap out veggies for what you have one hand, adjust the seasonings to your liking and finish off your bowl with all kinds of toppings.
You can also serve this soup a couple of different ways. You can leave it super chunky or blend everything up until smooth. I like mine somewhere in the middle - I blend half of the soup and leave the other half intact.
As for the toppings (aka the best part of any soup) you have so many options. Some things that immediately come to mind are avocado, cilantro, tortilla chips, jalapeños, green onions...the list goes on and on. Essentially anything you would put on a taco, you can put on top of this soup.
This soup is also a great make ahead meal. Whip up a batch on Sunday and you have lunch for the whole week. Don't want to eat it all in one week? This also freezes really well.
TSV TIP: I used my favorite vegan chicken bouillon to make the broth for this soup. You can find it at Whole Foods or online here.
Vegan Enchilada Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 jalapeño chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon cayenne plus more to taste
- 3 cloves garlic diced
- 1 cup corn frozen or canned
- 15 oz can black beans drained and rinsed
- 15 oz can white beans drained and rinsed
- 15 oz can fire roasted tomatoes
- 4 oz can green chiles
- 1 cup canned red enchilada sauce
- 4 cups broth*
- salt to taste, optional
- hot sauce to taste, optional
- optional toppings avocado, cilantro, green onions, tortilla chips, jalapeños
- Heat olive oil in a pot over medium heat. Add onion, bell peppers, jalapeño, chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, smoked paprika and cayenne to the pot and sauté, stirring regularly, until onions are soft (approx. 5 minutes).
- Add garlic and corn and sauté for an additional 2 minutes.
- Pour beans, tomatoes, green chiles, enchilada sauce and broth into the pot and stir to combine. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes (you can let it simmer longer to allow the flavors to become stronger, but if you are short on time, 10 minutes will do the trick).
- Taste and adjust seasonings if needed.**
- Transfer half of the soup to a blender (or use an immersion blender) and blend until smooth. Transfer the mixture back to the pot and stir to combine.
- Serve soup with any of the optional toppings.
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on one and make a purchase I will receive a small percentage of the sale. Please know I would never link a product unless I have personally used it and loved it!
This recipe is amazing! We have some of your pizzas and tacos and they have all been great. Thanks as someone that went plant based last July my wife and I really enjoy your recipes.
Thank you so much! So glad you and your wife are getting lots of inspo 🎉
I made this delicious soup along with a salad and vegan jalapeño cornbread muffins. OMG!!! One of my favorite recipes now!
Yum! That sounds like the best combo! So glad you liked it!
I made chicken tortilla soup last night, and my son said out of the blue, "I wonder if you can make a vegan version of this?" This is totally out of character because my son is basically a carnivore, but I said, yes, I know I've seen a similar recipe on TSV.
I just took a closer look at the recipe notes and saw your recommendation for the Better Than Bouillon No Chicken base. We have used their products before, but never knew about this one. Thank you for the tip!
Mark (Not a vegan, just trying to consume less meat!)
I live and die by that vegan chicken bouillon 😂 But it really is good. So glad to provide some inspo!
This soup was delicious! I did not add any salt to it. Instead of the green chilies I added 4oz of salsa instead. This recipe is a keeper.
This soup is so so delicious! Thank you for sharing!
My gawd! This was so so so soooooo good. I made exactly as is except I added another can of beans (kidney beans) and veggie sausage. It was perfect.... so happy I found this blog. Thank youuuuuu
Do you have the nutritional info for this soup?
I don't post nutritional info, but there are tons of websites that will do it for you.
made the recipe pretty much as it stands, but added a half cup of quinoa, a good squirt of bragg aminos (just because), and the equivalent of an extra can of black beans - outstanding, highly recommend this one!
Susan - so glad you liked this. And I love all of your additions!
Love this recipe, love soup season! I've made a few recipes from your site now, most of them summer-y recipes. Can't wait to make a big batch of hearty warming soup. Do you think homemade enchilada sauce would work? It's not an easy product to find in my supermarket.
Totally - homemade will definitely work. Enjoy!