Roasted Tomato & Basil Orzo Salad
This Roasted Tomato & Basil Orzo Salad has roasted tomatoes & garlic, vegan feta, fresh basil and a balsamic dressing. Fresh, bright & delicious!
The combo of roasted tomatoes & garlic with fresh basil and cubes of vegan feta might be my favorite thing ever. This orzo pasta salad is the perfect summer dinner – it is filling, fresh and delicious. Serve it chilled or at room temperature for a truly delicious vegan dinner!
Step One: Roast the Tomatoes & Garlic
Roasting the tomatoes and garlic is super easy and adds a delicious layer of flavor to this salad. Halve the tomatoes and place them in a baking dish with oil, salt & pepper. Give them a toss to coat evenly.
Grab a whole head of garlic and slice off the top so that all of the cloves are exposed. Place it on a piece of foil and drizzle with oil. Wrap up the foil and place the garlic in the baking dish with the tomatoes.
Roast the tomatoes & garlic for 30 minutes. The tomatoes should be super tender and burst. The garlic should be slightly browned and fork tender. Let the tomatoes and garlic cool for 30 minutes while you prep everything else.
If the garlic needs more time, place the foil packet back in the oven for another 10 minutes while the tomatoes cool.
Step Two: Assemble
While the tomatoes are cooling, cook the pasta and prep the dressing. Bring a big pot of water to a boil and add the orzo. Cook until al dente, drain and rinse with cold water.
To make the dressing, add some olive oil to a large bowl. Push the roasted garlic cloves out of the garlic skin directly into the bowl. Use a fork to mash the garlic – you could also dice it with a knife.
Pour in balsamic vinegar, agave, minced shallot, salt & pepper. Give everything a mix and add in the orzo, sun-dried tomatoes, roasted tomatoes, feta and basil. Toss, toss, toss and give it one last taste.
Step Three: Serve it Up
You can serve this orzo salad at room temp or chilled. It can easily be made ahead of time if you want to take this to a party or make it for lunches.
I like to serve mine with more fresh basil on the top along with some fresh cracked pepper.
This orzo pasta salad is super easy, incredibly delicious and packs so much flavor!
Need More Recipe Inspo? Check these Out!
Roasted Tomato & Basil Orzo Salad
- 7 tablespoons olive oil separated
- 1 pound tomatoes halved, I used campari tomatoes
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 head garlic
- 1 pound orzo dry
- 7 ounces vegan feta cubed
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 shallot finely mined
- 1 teaspoon agave or maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons sun-dried tomatoes roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh basil plus more for serving
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Add the tomatoes to a baking dish and drizzle with 2 tablespoons of oil, salt & pepper. Cut the top of the garlic off to expose the cloves. Place on a piece of foil, drizzle with 1 tablespoon of oil and wrap the foil around it. Place in the baking dish with the tomatoes. Place in the oven for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 30 minutes.*
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the orzo and cook according to the package instructions. Drain and rinse with cold water.
- Add the remaining 4 tablespoons of oil & roasted garlic to a bowl and smash with a fork. Add the vinegar, shallots, agave and a pinch of salt & pepper. Taste and adjust the dressing as needed.
- Add the orzo, tomatoes (including the juices from the baking dish), feta, sun-dried tomatoes and basil to the bowl. Toss until everything is coated and combined. Taste and adjust as needed.
- Serve at room temperature or chilled.
- When the garlic comes out of the oven it should be super tender and slightly browned. If it needs more time, place the foil packet back in the oven for another 10 minutes while the tomatoes cool.