Roasted Squash & Lentils
This Roasted Squash & Lentils recipe is a mix between a salad and a bowl. Crispy delicata squash, vegan feta and lemony lentils with fresh herbs!
This Roasted Squash & Lentils recipe has all of the perfect fall elements. Delicata squash is tossed in a warm seasoning mix and a little oil before being roasted until crispy. Cooked lentils are tossed in a simple lemon/shallot dressing. And the whole thing is brought together with a little vegan feta and fresh herbs. This recipe is perfectly balanced and totally healthy.
Step One: Cook the Squash
The first thing you want to do is prep the delicata squash. Delicata is similar to acorn squash – the inside is sweet & delicious, and the skin becomes super delicate once it is roasted.
Cut the squash in half, scoop out the seeds and them cut it in strips. You may also be able to find delicata squash pre-cut!
Add the squash to a bowl with oil and dry seasonings. Toss until all of the pieces are coated evenly and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Place in the oven and roast for 20 minutes. Flip and cook for another 10 minutes. The squash should come out tender with the perfect amount of crunch.
Step Two: Prep the Lentils
When it comes to the lentils, I used pre-cooked lentils. You can usually find pre-cooked lentils in the produce section. But if for some reason you can’t, you can make them from scratch. Just be sure to let them cool slightly before mixing them with everything else.
Add the lentils to a bowl with oil, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, fresh parsley, smoked paprika, salt, pepper, garlic & shallots. Give everything a toss and then give them a taste. Adjust the seasonings as needed – I like to add a little extra splash of vinegar.
Step Three: Assemble & Serve
To assemble, spread the lentils out on a serving platter. Top them off with some crumbled vegan feta – not necessary, but super tasty! Then, layer on the roasted squash.
Top it all off with some fresh basil (or use more fresh parsley) and it is ready to eat!
This can be served warm, at room temperature or chilled. The leftovers are great straight out of the fridge! Serve this as a side or a main dish.
Need more recipe inspo? Check these out:
Roasted Squash & Lentils
FOR THE SQUASH
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add all of the squash ingredients to a bowl and toss to coat evenly. Transfer to the baking sheet and roast for 20 minutes. Flip and cook for another 10 minutes. Remove from the oven.
- Meanwhile, add all of the lentil ingredients (through the salt & pepper) to a bowl and toss to combine. Taste and adjust the seasonings as needed. Set aside.
- To assemble, add the lentils to a serving platter and top with the crumbled feta, squash and basil. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- I get my cooked lentils in the produce section at the grocery store. If you are cooking the lentils from scratch, be sure to let them cool slightly before mixing them with the other ingredients.
- The vegan feta is optional but adds a great tang – I get mine at Trader Joe’s.
- Leftovers can be served cold or at room temperature.