Korean BBQ Tofu Bowls
These Korean BBQ Tofu Bowls are filled with crispy, tangy gochujang bbq tofu served over green onion & lime rice. Add veggies for the perfect dinner!
This post includes affiliate links. If you make a purchase I get a small commission.
This Korean tofu is such an easy weeknight dinner. Quickly whisk up the sauce, pan fry the tofu and make the rice. Ready in 30 minutes and totally delicious. Serve this with your favorite veggies (drizzled with extra sauce, of course) for a complete meal.
How to make Korean BBQ Sauce
The sauce is a super simple combo. Here is what you need:
- low sodium soy sauce (or tamari for GF)
- brown sugar
- rice vinegar
- sesame oil
Add everything to a sauce pan and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and add a corn starch slurry to thicken the sauce. Transfer to a bowl and set aside while you prep everything else.
How to make green onion & lime rice
This isn’t your every day steamed rice. The addition of green onion, lime juice and lime zest give this rice a little something extra.
Start out by adding the dry rice and water to a pan. Bring it to a boil, cover and simmer until all of the liquid is absorbed. You can let this sit while the tofu is cooking. Then, right before serving add the extra ingredients and fluff it with a fork. Simple, but delicious.
How to cook the tofu
You want to make sure your tofu is drained and pressed – it shouldn’t need too much pressing since we’re using extra firm tofu. Cut the tofu into squares and add to a bowl. Toss with corn starch until the cubes are lightly coated.
Heat some oil in a skillet and add the tofu. Gently flip until all of the sides are lightly browned. Lower the heat and add half of the sauce to skillet. Toss until the tofu is coated and the sauce has caramelized.
How to serve Korean BBQ Tofu Bowls
Once everything is ready, add rice to the bottom of each bowl and top with tofu. Sprinkle on some sesame seeds and more green onion. You can serve the remaining sauce on the side.
To make this a complete meal, add some veggies like broccolini or bok choy. Another great way to use up that extra sauce!
Need more recipe inspo? Check these out:
Korean BBQ Tofu Bowls
FOR THE TOFU
- 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce or tamari for GF
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon gochujang
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 3 cloves garlic diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger diced
- 1 tablespoon corn starch plus more for tofu
- 1 block extra firm tofu drained and pressed
- oil for frying
- sesame seeds for serving
- Add the rice and water to a pan and bring to a boil. Cover, lower heat and simmer until all of the liquid has been absorbed. Right before serving add lime juice, lime zest and half of the green onions. Toss to combine.
- Add the soy sauce, brown sugar, gochujang, rice vinegar, sesame oil, garlic and ginger to a sauce pan. Combine corn starch and 2 tablespoons of water in small bowl. Once the sauce is boiling, add the corn starch slurry, lower heat and simmer until thickened. Remove from the heat and trasfer to a bowl.*
- Cut the pressed tofu into squares and toss with corn starch. Heat some oil in a skillet and add the tofu. Cook until all sides are lightly browned.
- Add half of the sauce to the skillet and cook on low until the tofu is coated and the sauce starts to caramelize – be sure not to overcook as the sugar in the sauce can burn.
- To serve add rice to 4 bowls and top with the tofu. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and the remaining green onion. Serve the remaining sauce on the side.**