Green Chile Rice Skillet
This Green Chile Rice Skillet is a one-pot vegan recipe filled with beans, rice, veggies & soyrizo. Served up with so many delicious toppings!
One-pot, lots of veggies, rice and beans – this Green Chile Rice Skillet is the perfect weeknight dinner! This recipe is super easy and there are sooooo many options for toppings! Plus the leftovers are the perfect next-day lunch!
Step One: Make the Rice
Since this recipe is made in one skillet, there aren’t too many steps to this one! Which is a win in my book – easy weeknight dinners are a must!
Heat some oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, bell pepper & dry seasonings and cook for 3 minutes. Add the soyrizo and brown for another 2 minutes.
Pour in dry rice, broth, a can of green chiles & vegan cream cheese and mix until smooth. Pour in a can of rinsed pinto beans and give it one last stir. Bring to a boil, cover and lower heat. Cook for 20 minutes, or until the rice is cooked and the liquid is absorbed.
Step Two: Prep the Toppings
While the rice is cooking, prep the best part of this recipe…the toppings!!! You have so many options when it comes to the toppings, but here are some of my favorites:
- shredded cabbage
- green onion
- red onion
- jalapeño slices
- vegan yogurt or sour cream
I say go wild when it comes to the toppings. The toppings add extra flavor and crunch that take this rice dish to another level!
Step Three: Assemble & Serve
And now it is time to serve – I’m telling you, this recipe is so simple!
Dish up the rice onto plates and let everyone add their favorite toppings. I like to have some corn chips on the side for scooping up the rice too!
This makes A LOT of food! And the best part is that the leftovers keep so well in the fridge. Pop the leftovers into individual containers and place them in the fridge. They can be reheated in the microwave in just a couple minutes!
Need more recipe inspo? Check these out:
Green Chile Rice Skillet
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 small red onion diced
- 1 bell pepper diced
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 6 ounces soyrizo crumbled
- 1 1/2 cups white rice dry
- 3 cups broth I used vegan chicken broth
- 1 4-ounce can green chiles
- 1/3 cup vegan cream cheese I used Kite Hill
- 1 15-ounce can pinto beans drained and rinsed
- vegan yogurt, shredded cabbage, jalapeños, green onion, cilantro, corn chips, avocado optional toppings
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, bell pepper & dry seasonings and cook for 3 minutes. Add the soyrizo and brown for another 2 minutes.
- Pour in the rice, broth, green chiles & cream cheese and mix until smooth. Pour in the beans and give it one last stir. Bring to a boil, cover and lower heat. Cook for 20 minutes, or until the rice is cooked and the liquid is absorbed.
- Fluff the rice, taste and add salt if needed. Serve hot with any of the optional toppings.