Feta Spinach Mac & Cheese
This vegan Feta Spinach Mac & Cheese is creamy, comforting a delicious. Made with vegan feta & pesto and topped with breadcrumbs!
Are you ready to have this recipe on repeat? Because it is seriously delicious! The sauce is creamy and comforting. The crispy topping adds the perfect amount of crunch. If you are looking for comfort in a bowl, then look no further…this is it!
How to Make the Sauce
The sauce for this recipe is not overly complicated. Start by making a roux with vegan butter and flour. Once that is smooth and bubbly, slowly pour in non-dairy milk, cream and broth. Once the liquids are heated through, add in the dry seasonings and pre-made vegan pesto.
Now, when it comes to the “cheese” in this recipe, I used Trader Joe’s vegan feta (it’s my fave) and plain vegan cream cheese. The combo give you a totally creamy texture and an amazing flavor. They don’t need to get completely smooth – some chunks are ok for this recipe.
Stir in the thawed spinach and give it a taste. Depending on the broth you used, you may need to add salt. Add the cooked pasta to the pot and give everything a stir.
How to Serve
Now that everything is combined, transfer it to a greased baking dish. And now the fun part…toppings. I decided butter crackers were the perfect topping for this one. Fun fact: almost all butter crackers (aka Ritz) are naturally vegan. Just be sure to check the label.
Crumble the crackers and add to the top of the pasta. I also reserved some vegan feta and pesto to add to the top. Place in the oven and bake for 15 minutes – the crackers should be nicely browned.
Remove from the oven and serve hot. I’m telling you this is one of the most delicious vegan pasta bakes you’ve ever eaten. And we can all feel a little better knowing there’s some greens in there.
Need More Recipe Inspo? Check these Out!
Did you Make this Recipe?
If you made this Feta Spinach Mac & Cheese I would LOVE to hear what you thought. Be sure to drop a comment and a rating below! You can also tag me on social media if you snapped a photo. I LOVE seeing your recreations!
Feta Spinach Mac & Cheese
- 1 pound pasta shells I used calamarata
- 4 tablespoons vegan butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup non-dairy milk unsweetened
- 1/2 cup non-dairy cream I used Ripple
- 1 cup broth I used vegan chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 7 ounces vegan feta separated, I used Trader Joe's
- 4 ounces vegan cream cheese I used Kite Hill
- 2 tablespoons vegan pesto plus more for topping
- 8 ounces frozen spinach thawed and drained
- 6 butter crackers crumbled, like Ritz
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Cook the pasta until al dente and drain. Place the empty pot back on the stove over medium heat.
- Melt the butter and slowly add the flour, whisking continuously. Once smooth and bubbly, slowly pour in the milk, cream and broth. Bring to a slow boil, then whisk in the dry seasonings, 6 ounces of the vegan feta, the vegan cream cheese and pesto. Stir in the spinach and turn off the heat. Pour in the cooked pasta and stir to combine.
- Spray the baking dish with non-stick spray and transfer the pasta. Top with the crumbled crackers, remaining feta and some more pesto. Place in the oven and bake for 15 minutes. For a crispier topping, broil for a couple more minutes.
- Remove from the oven and serve hot.
What vegan pesto do you use?
I usually get the kale pesto at trader joe’s, but I’ve also seen vegan pesto at other grocery stores as well!
Made tonight and it was AWESOME!!!:) I have saved tons of your recipes and this was the 1st one I made. Soooo excited to try more!:)
Thanks so much Jennifer! So glad you liked this!