These Buffalo Chickpea Stuffed Sweet Potatoes are smoky, slightly spicy and a healthy vegan dinner that everyone will love.
Today we're combining two of my favorite things - a Fall veggie and buffalo sauce. It really is the perfect combo. You get some sweetness from the sweet potato, smokiness from the seasonings and a little bit of spice from the buffalo sauce. PLUS, these are loaded with brown rice and chickpeas to make them filling and nutritious!
How to make Buffalo Chickpea Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
Start out by roasting the sweet potatoes. Poke a few holes in them and place them on the rack in the oven for about an hour. You want them to be fork tender.
Remove them from the oven, cut them in half and let them cool for about 10 minutes. Meanwhile, cook down some garlic, shallot and spinach in a little bit of olive oil.
Now, scoop out the insides of the potatoes and put the skins back in the oven for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, combine the scooped sweet potato, spinach mix, some cooked brown rice, chickpeas, seasonings and buffalo sauce in a bowl.
When the skins come out of the oven, add the mixture back to the skins and stuff them up - these will be VERY stuffed. Pop them back in the oven for another 10-15 minutes to get everything nice and warmed through.
How to serve Buffalo Chickpea Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
Once you take the potatoes out of the oven, it is time to add some toppings. Because who doesn't love toppings???
I chose to top mine with vegan ranch, avocado slices and lots of cilantro. The toppings really bring the whole thing together!
These make a great make ahead lunch! Just pop the cooled potatoes in individual containers and reheat in the microwave or air fryer. Healthy, comforting and delicious!
Need more recipe inspo? Check these out:
Buffalo Chickpea Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoon olive oil separated
- 1 shallot diced
- 3 cloves garlic diced
- 2 handfuls spinach
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 cup brown rice cooked
- 1 cup chickpeas from a can
- ¼-1/2 cup buffalo sauce to taste
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- vegan ranch, avocado slices, cilantro optional toppings
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and pierce sweet potatoes with a fork a few times. Place the sweet potatoes directly on the oven rack* and cook for 45-60 minutes, or until fork tender. Remove from the oven and cut in half. Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the shallot, garlic and a pinch of salt & pepper. Cook for 2-3 minutes, or until tender. Add the spinach and toss until it has wilted. Remove from the heat.
- Scoop the insides of the sweet potatoes into a bowl - leaving about ½" of filling in each potato skin. Place the skins on a baking sheet and drizzle with the remaining olive oil. Place back in the oven for 10 minutes.
- While the skins are in the oven, add the remaining ingredients to the sweet potato that was scooped out and stir to combine.
- Remove the skins from the oven and scoop the filling back into the potato skins. Place them back in the oven for 10-15 more minutes, our until everything is heated through. Remove from the oven, top with any of the optional toppings and serve.
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on one and make a purchase I will receive a small percentage of the sale. Please know I would never link a product unless I have personally used it and loved it!