This Roasted Chickpea Avocado Toast steps up the classic vegan breakfast. Toasted bread is topped…
This Chipotle Lentil Avocado Toast is the ultimate vegan brunch meal – sourdough bread topped with avocado, greens and warm chipotle lentils.
I almost don’t know what to say about this Chipotle Lentil Avocado Toast. Like, it is hands down one of the best things I have EVER made! It is freaking delicious, people!
I have to say that I have not always been a lentil fan. And that’s because people don’t know how to season lentils. Every time I have had lentils they have been mushy and bland. But no, no, no. Not today. These lentils are anything but bland. And definitely not mushy.
And just because these lentils are not bland, doesn’t mean we’re using 25,000 ingredients either. Just a few simple ingredients punch these full of flavor in a major way.
So what are those ingredients, you say? Garlic, shallot, chipotles, salt & pepper.
That’s it. That is all you need – and all you will ever want. These lentils would be good on just about EVERYTHING – bowls, salads, tacos.
Ok, now that you have read through my love note to these lentils, let’s talk about what else is going on in this recipe.
First of all, the bread. I always lean towards sourdough when it comes to avocado toast. And when that avocado toast is as loaded with toppings as this one, I also like to use an intact sourdough loaf – rather than a pre-cut loaf. This allows you to cut the slices a little thicker than normal.
The first thing you’re going to put on your toast is mashed avocado. I also kept this simple…avocado, garlic powder, salt & pepper. Give it a quick mash and you’re done.
And to add some greenery to this (and make it a complete meal) I also added some arugula. You could swap the arugula for spinach or kale, but arugula adds a nice bite that I really enjoyed with this recipe.
And that’s it. You could stop there and be more than happy. But, you could also take it to another level and add some final toppings. I personally love chopped cilantro and a good shake of hot sauce. But get creative with it. Roasted tomatoes, chili oil, sesame seeds…lots of options here.
Make sure to grab a knife and fork, because this can get messy. But believe me…it’s worth it!
Chipotle Lentil Avocado Toast
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 shallot diced
- 1 clove garlic diced
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 1-2 tbsp adobo sauce from the can
- 1 cup cooked lentils
- 2 avocados
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- salt & pepper
- 4 slices sourdough bread or bread of choice
- 2 cups arugula or greens of choice
- cilantro, hot sauce, chili oil optional toppings
- Heat olive oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Add shallot, garlic, chipotle pepper and adobo sauce to the pan and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add lentils to the pan and stir to combine. Taste and add salt & pepper to taste. Turn heat to low until ready to eat.
- Add avocados, garlic powder and a pinch of salt & pepper to a bowl. Mash avocado with a fork and set aside.
- Toast bread.
- To assemble, spread equal amounts of avocado on each slice of bread. Top with a handful of arugula and a 1/4 cup of lentils.
- Add optional toppings of choice and serve!
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on one and make a purchase I will receive a small percentage of the sale. Please know I would never link a product unless I have personally used it and loved it!