Chai Spice Vegan Rice Krispie Treats
These Chai Spice Vegan Rice Krispie Treats are covered in chocolate and flaky sea salt. Over the top dessert that everyone will love!
Tis the season…for ALL the desserts. And if you want to impress your friends and family, then I cannot recommend these Chai Spice Vegan Rice Krispie Treats more! These are a fun twist on a classic – and making them vegan-friendly is easier than you think. With just a couple of swaps you’ll have dairy-free treats!
How to make chai spice
Making chai spice at home is super simple. Grab some nutmeg, cinnamon, cardamom, ginger, cloves and allspice. You can play around with the amount of each spice. I upped the ginger for more of a bite, but you could add more cinnamon for a sweeter flavor.
Add the spices to a bowl and give it a quick mix. Done. You now have chai spice. You could also make a bigger batch to have on hand for other recipes.
Are there vegan marshmallows?
Now, the first question you might be wondering is…are there vegan marshmallows? There sure are. I have been able to find them on Amazon and at Whole Foods. But I think some other online stores carry them as well. Now that we have that cleared up, here’s how we make them.
How to make Chai Spice Vegan Rice Krispie Treats
Start out by melting vegan butter in a large pot over medium heat. Once the butter is melted, add the vegan marshmallows. Now, you need to trust the process, and stir, stir, stir. Since vegan marshmallows don’t have gelatin, they don’t melt as quickly. But trust me, they will get there.
When the marshmallows are almost completely melted, add in the chai spice and vanilla extract. Stir some more, then turn off the heat.
Add the rice krispies a few cups at a time and you guessed it…stir some more. Once everything is incorporated, transfer the mixture to a parchment-lined baking dish. Use a spoon (or your hands) to spread it out. Now, we wait for 30 minutes.
How to melt the chocolate
There are a couple of ways to melt chocolate. The “fancier” way is using a double broiler. Aka boiling some water in a pot and placing a glass bowl over the pot and allowing the chocolate to melt in the bowl. This is how I like to do it. It creates an even melt.
BUT…you can also just use the microwave. Just be sure to stir every 30 seconds so that it doesn’t burn.
Once the chocolate is melted, spread it over the cooled rice krispies. And if you want to make these extra delicious, add a pinch of flaky sea salt too.
Pop them in the fridge and let them cool for 1 hour.
How to serve Chai Spice Vegan Rice Krispie Treats
Take the rice krispies out of the fridge and let them come to room temperature. Take them out of the baking dish and slice them into squares.
And now, we feast. These will last in an air-tight container for 2-3 days. Or keep them in the fridge for up to a week. Not like they’ll last that long anyways.
Need more recipe inspo? Check these out:
Chai Spice Vegan Rice Krispie Treats
FOR THE CHAI SPICE
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
FOR THE RICE KRISPIES
- 8 tablespoons vegan butter
- 2 10-ounce packages vegan marshmallows
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 cups rice krispies
- 12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- flaky sea salt optional
- Line a 9×13 baking dish with parchment paper.
- Combine the chai spice ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- Melt the vegan butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the marshmallows and stir until melted – it will take about 10 minutes for them to melt completely, just keep stirring. Once the marshmallows are done melting, stir in the chai spice and vanilla extract. Remove from the heat.
- Add the rice krispies a few cups at a time and stir until combined. Transfer the mixture to the baking dish and press it down. Allow to cool for 30 minutes.
- Melt the chocolate chips in the microwave or over a double broiler and spread out over the rice krispies. Sprinkle with sea salt and place in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Remove from the fridge and cut into squares. Store in an air-tight container on the counter for 2-3 days or in the fridge for up to 1 week.
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on one and make a purchase I will receive a small percentage of the sale. Please know I would never link a product unless I have personally used it and loved it!