Buffalo Smashed Potatoes
These Buffalo Smashed Potatoes are baked on a sheet pan until crispy, drizzled with buffalo sauce and served with vegan cilantro ranch!
If you love potatoes then you need to try these crispy smashed potatoes! Baby potatoes are boiled until fork tender, then smashed until flattened. Baked in olive oil, salt & pepper until crispy and tossed with buffalo sauce. These are served with fresh cilantro & vegan cilantro ranch. The perfect party appetizer or dinner side!
How to Prep the Potatoes
I like using baby dutch potatoes for this recipe. They are super creamy on the inside and the skin gets a nice crispy crust.
Add the potatoes to a stock pot and cover with water. Bring the water to a boil, lower the heat and simmer until the potatoes are fork tender – about 10 minutes. Drain the potatoes and add olive oil, salt & pepper to a rimmed baking sheet.
Add the potatoes to the baking sheet – and now we smash. You can either place another baking sheet on top of them and press down OR use a glass to press each potato individually. Top with the rest of the oil, salt & pepper and bake in the oven for 20 minutes – flipping halfway.
Take the potatoes out of the oven, flip one more time and drizzle with buffalo sauce. Place back in the oven for another 5-10 minutes, or until crispy.
How to Serve
Of course these crispy potatoes need a dipping sauce. I made a simple homemade cilantro ranch. It is just a combo of vegan mayo, oil, vinegar, dry seasonings, fresh cilantro & jalapeño. Give everything a mix, a taste and you are ready to eat.
I like to top the hot potatoes with fresh cilantro before serving. You can get in there with your hands and dip away – or for a more civilized tactic, grab a fork.
These potatoes have the perfect amount of crunch, spice and creaminess.
Need More Recipe Inspo? Check these Out!
Did you Make this Recipe?
If you made these Buffalo Smashed Potatoes I would LOVE to hear what you thought. Be sure to drop a comment and a rating below! You can also tag me on social media if you snapped a photo. I LOVE seeing your recreations!
Buffalo Smashed Potatoes
FOR THE CILANTRO RANCH
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Add the potatoes to a stock pot and cover with water. Bring the water to a boil, lower heat and simmer for 10 minutes – or until the potatoes are fork tender. Drain the potatoes.
- Add 1/4 cup olive oil, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and 1/4 teaspoon of salt to a rimmed baking sheet. Place the potatoes on the baking sheet and use the bottom of a glass to press the potatoes down. Once all of the potatoes are smashed, add the rest of the oil, salt & pepper. Place in the oven and bake for 20 minutes, flipping halfway. Flip again and drizzle with the buffalo sauce. Bake for another 5-10 minutes, or until the potatoes are crispy.
- Meanwhile, add all of the ranch ingredients to a bowl and stir to combine. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Add non-dairy milk to thin as needed.
- Serve the potatoes with more cilantro and the ranch on the side.