These Black Bean Sweet Potato Tacos are healthy, fresh and vegan. Ready in 30 minutes and full of spice and flavor!
Tacos are one of the easiest meals to vegan-ize. If I'm eating out with friends I always suggest getting Mexican. Every Mexican joint I have gone to has always been super flexible and accommodating when I tell them my diet needs.
And in all honesty, I usually end up getting a meal better than anything they have on the menu.
The lesson here: don't be afraid to eat at restaurants that aren't designated as "vegan". You'll be surprised at how easy it is to find something to eat and how nice the servers are!
Now, even though I love going out for Taco Tuesday, sometimes you want to stay in. And these tacos are just as good (or better) as anything you can buy out.
Roasted sweet potatoes are seasoned and served with black beans and a zesty coleslaw on top of heated corn tortillas. Add some guacamole or hot sauce on top and you have a healthy and flavor-packed dinner.
Black Bean Sweet Potato Tacos
FOR THE SWEET POTATOES
FOR THE COLESLAW
- 2 cups shredded coleslaw mix
- 2 tbsp. vegan mayo
- 1 lime juiced
- chili powder pinch
FOR THE BEANS
- 1 can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp. cumin
- red pepper flakes pinch
FOR THE TACOS
- 12 corn tortillas
- Optional toppings: cilantro guacamole, salsa, hot sauce
- FOR THE SWEET POTATOES: Preheat the oven to 450 degrees and line a baking sheet with foil. Add potatoes, olive oil, paprika, cumin and lime juice to a bowl. Stir to combine. Spray foil with non-stick spray. Add potatoes to the baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes, flipping halfway through. Remove from the oven and add salt.
- FOR THE COLESLAW: While the potatoes are cooking, add the coleslaw ingredients to a bowl and stir to combine. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- FOR THE BEANS: Add beans, cumin and red pepper flakes to a pan. Heat on low while potatoes are cooking, stirring frequently.
- TO ASSEMBLE TACOS: Heat tortillas in a non-stick pan or over direct heat. Add beans, sweet potatoes and coleslaw to each taco and eat as is or add optional toppings.