This Vegan Sausage & Potato Beer Cheese Soup is creamy comfort in a bowl. A hearty vegan soup that can be served with crusty bread and green onion.
If you are looking for a soup that is the ultimate comfort food and extremely delicious, then look no further. This soup is serious savory-goodness in each bite.
When I was thinking about making a vegan beer cheese soup, I knew I wanted to amp it up in some way.
That's where the vegan sausage and potatoes enter the picture. These additions take this soup to a whole new level. This soup is hearty and finger-licking good.
This soup has a few options for adjustments based on your preferences:
- Want a thicker, more "stew-like" soup? Make the recipe as listed, and then let it sit for a bit. It will continue to thicken as it sits. This is the perfect way to eat this soup if you want to dip some crusty bread in it as you go.
- Want it more "soupy"? Just add an additional cup of water or broth to the soup after it has cooked. It won't be too thin, but it will stretch this soup out a little longer.
- Not a fan of beer? Well, first of all, you won't really taste the beer in this. So, I would recommend using beer regardless. But if you really don't want to, add an additional cup of broth in place of the beer.
- Not sure which kind of beer to use? I went with an IPA (I mean, I live in San Diego...it's basically all we drink). But I would go with something with some flavor like an IPA or Pale Ale.
Ok, now that you know how you can adjust this recipe to your liking, let's talk leftovers. If you have any that is.
You can freeze leftovers in a freezer-safe container after you have cooked it and let it cool completely.
Or dish the soup into individual containers and place them in the fridge for easy weekday lunches. This soup should last 5-7 days in the fridge.
Check out the video of how to make this Vegan Sausage & Potato Beer Cheese Soup:
Vegan Sausage & Potato Beer Cheese Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 oz vegan sausage
- 3 tablespoon vegan butter
- 3 tablespoon flour
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 1 carrot diced
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 1 jalapeño diced
- 1 clove garlic diced
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- salt & pepper to taste
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup non-dairy milk unsweetened
- 1 tablespoon vegan chicken bouillon*
- 2 russet potatoes peeled and diced
- 8 oz beer**
- 8 oz vegan cream cheese
- green onions for topping
- Heat olive oil in a stock pot over medium heat. Add vegan sausage and break apart with a wooden spoon. Continue to cook until browned. Remove sausage from the pot and set aside.
- Add butter to the pan. Once the butter is melted, add the flour and whisk until smooth and bubbly.
- Add onion, carrot, celery, jalapeño and garlic to the pot and continue to cook until onions start to soften (approx. 3-5 minutes).
- Add oregano, paprika and a pinch of salt & pepper to the pot and stir to combine. Slowly add water, milk and bouillon to the pot and bring to a simmer.
- Add potatoes to the pot and cover. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add beer and cream cheese to the pot and whisk until smooth. Continue to simmer until potatoes are soft (approx. 5-10 more minutes). Add the sausage back to the pan and stir to combine.
- Remove the pot from the heat and allow the soup to cool for 5-10 minutes.***
- Serve soup with green onions and crusty bread.
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on one and make a purchase I will receive a small percentage of the sale. Please know I would never link a product unless I have personally used it and loved it!