Vegan Sausage & Potato Beer Cheese Soup
This Vegan Sausage & Potato Beer Cheese Soup is creamy comfort in a bowl. A hearty vegan soup that can be served with crusty bread and green onion.
If you are looking for a soup that is the ultimate comfort food and extremely delicious, then look no further. This soup is serious savory-goodness in each bite.
When I was thinking about making a vegan beer cheese soup, I knew I wanted to amp it up in some way.
That’s where the vegan sausage and potatoes enter the picture. These additions take this soup to a whole new level. This soup is hearty and finger-licking good.
This soup has a few options for adjustments based on your preferences:
- Want a thicker, more “stew-like” soup? Make the recipe as listed, and then let it sit for a bit. It will continue to thicken as it sits. This is the perfect way to eat this soup if you want to dip some crusty bread in it as you go.
- Want it more “soupy”? Just add an additional cup of water or broth to the soup after it has cooked. It won’t be too thin, but it will stretch this soup out a little longer.
- Not a fan of beer? Well, first of all, you won’t really taste the beer in this. So, I would recommend using beer regardless. But if you really don’t want to, add an additional cup of broth in place of the beer.
- Not sure which kind of beer to use? I went with an IPA (I mean, I live in San Diego…it’s basically all we drink). But I would go with something with some flavor like an IPA or Pale Ale.
Ok, now that you know how you can adjust this recipe to your liking, let’s talk leftovers. If you have any that is.
You can freeze leftovers in a freezer-safe container after you have cooked it and let it cool completely.
Or dish the soup into individual containers and place them in the fridge for easy weekday lunches. This soup should last 5-7 days in the fridge.
Check out the video of how to make this Vegan Sausage & Potato Beer Cheese Soup:
Vegan Sausage & Potato Beer Cheese Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 8 oz vegan sausage
- 3 tbsp vegan butter
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 1 carrot diced
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 1 jalapeño diced
- 1 clove garlic diced
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- salt & pepper to taste
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup non-dairy milk unsweetened
- 1 tbsp vegan chicken bouillon*
- 2 russet potatoes peeled and diced
- 8 oz beer**
- 8 oz vegan cream cheese
- green onions for topping
- Heat olive oil in a stock pot over medium heat. Add vegan sausage and break apart with a wooden spoon. Continue to cook until browned. Remove sausage from the pot and set aside.
- Add butter to the pan. Once the butter is melted, add the flour and whisk until smooth and bubbly.
- Add onion, carrot, celery, jalapeño and garlic to the pot and continue to cook until onions start to soften (approx. 3-5 minutes).
- Add oregano, paprika and a pinch of salt & pepper to the pot and stir to combine. Slowly add water, milk and bouillon to the pot and bring to a simmer.
- Add potatoes to the pot and cover. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add beer and cream cheese to the pot and whisk until smooth. Continue to simmer until potatoes are soft (approx. 5-10 more minutes). Add the sausage back to the pan and stir to combine.
- Remove the pot from the heat and allow the soup to cool for 5-10 minutes.***
- Serve soup with green onions and crusty bread.
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on one and make a purchase I will receive a small percentage of the sale. Please know I would never link a product unless I have personally used it and loved it!
This was a delicious recipe. My fiancee said, not once but three times, that this was the best soup he’s ever had! I didn’t use any beer, and used a little bit less cream cheese and it turned out amazing, so flavorful and cozy
Woo! So glad it was a hit!
This soup is so incredibly tasty! We have yet to try it with the beer, as we never seem to have it in the house when we make it, but it doesn’t lack any flavor. Definitely perfect for a cold winter evening!
Love a bowl of soup on a cold night! So glad you liked it!
YUM this soup is a new favorite! I love it so, so much. We made some homemade pretzels to serve with it and it was awesome. Highly recommend this recipe!
You had me at homemade pretzels 🥨 That sounds amazing. So glad you liked the soup 🤗
Made this soup for dinner tonight and it was wonderful. My family all raves about how delicious it was. I’m excited to have this recipe to make as the weather gets colder. Thank you for a fabulous option for dinner.!
I’m so excited for soup weather too! So glad the whole family liked it!
I really enjoy your recipes and would love to make this soup. Do you know of any vegan sausage for sale that has no wheat gluten? I can cheat on things like tortillas and pizza crust once in a while without getting too sick, but pure wheat gluten has a devastating effect on my digestive system. Leaving the sausage out, just not the same.
The same sausage I used for this recipe is GF – Beyond Sausage. All of their products are made from pea protein instead of wheat gluten 👍
This was delicious! We used Beyond Meat brats for the sausage and skipped the bouillon and just used veggie broth instead because we had some. It turned out great! Perfect cozy fall soup!
Yay! So glad you liked it!
This is delicious! The perfect soup for the beginning of fall/soup season! Thanks for another amazing recipe!
Yes! I am so excited for soup season! So glad you liked it!
This soup is warm, comforting, and so flavorful! I’m in love! 😍
Yay! So glad you liked it 😊
Made this for dinner and my husband and I loved it! The flavor was amazing and we would definitely make it again and again. We added a little shredded vegan white cheddar for extra cheesiness, but that was just a personal preference.
Awesome! So glad you both liked it!
THIS IS FANTASTIC!
We loved it! My non-vegan husband was super impressed! Only change I had to make: I subbed chili powder for the paprika because we were out.
Yay – so glad you both liked this!
Made this for dinner using sausage recipe link. I did add nutritional yeast to soup at least a quarter of a cup maybe even a half. Turned out delicious.
Thank you for making this recipe! So delicious ☺️
So glad you liked it! Nothing better than a bowl of warm soup during the cold months 🙂
What type of sausage do you typically use in your sausage recipes? Looks fantastic! Excited to try it.
I used the Beyond Sausage – Spicy Italian flavor. So good!
I used gardein brand, it is awesome
I subbed Soyrizo Chorizo sausage and it was delicious! The spices worked perfectly to add a little kick, so tasty!
So delicious, did not change a thing!
Awesome! So glad you liked it 🙂
Can u sub sour cream or something else for cream cheese. I really don’t like it. Thanks
That should work, but I haven’t personally tried it, so I can’t vouch for how it will taste. Texture-wise it sounds like a good swap. Let us know if you try it out!