This Vegan Rice-a-Roni recipe tastes like the real deal, but is made with 100% vegan ingredients and zero preservatives. The perfect vegan side dish!
When I say that I LOVEDDDDDD rice-a-roni when I was kid, I mean it! It was my absolute favorite thing. I mean what’s not to like? It’s salty, carby goodness.
BUT, the fact that my favorite childhood flavor (chicken) isn’t vegan, only made it that more important that I develop a recipe that would curb the craving.
And that’s where this Vegan Rice-a-Roni recipe comes in.
This stuff tastes like the real deal people. The (not so) secret ingredient is vegan chicken broth. It is a must in my books. You can get it at Whole Foods or online here.
The other important part of this recipe is the combination of different rice/pasta. I used white rice, orzo and angel hair pasta (broken into pieces). I’m telling you, this is the holy grail of pasta combos to make this dish.
I promise you are going to want to make this side dish all the time! It is so good!
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- 1/4 cup angel hair pasta dry, broken into 1" pieces
- 1/4 cup orzo dry
- 3/4 cup white rice dry
- 2 1/2 cups vegan chicken broth*
- 1 1/2 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- salt if needed
- Melt the butter in a pan over medium heat. Add the angel hair, orzo and rice to the pan and cook until toasted and slightly browned, stirring constantly.**
- Slowly pour the broth into the pan. Stir in the parsley, garlic powder and onion powder. Bring to a boil, cover and lower heat. Simmer for 12-15 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed.
- Turn the heat off, taste and adjust salt. Serve hot.
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on one and make a purchase I will receive a small percentage of the sale. Please know I would never link a product unless I have personally used it and loved it!