This Vegan Potato Habanero White Pizza is the perfect balance of spice and creaminess. Topped…
This Vegan Potato Stew with Rosemary Garlic Polenta is a simple dinner that packs tons of flavors and veggies into one easy to make meal.
Today we are making the ULTIMATE pantry staple recipe. With just a few veggies, some seasonings and broth you will have a super tasty stew on your hands. And even if you don’t have everything on hand, you can easily swap ingredients out with what you do have.
To take this stew to the next level we are serving it with a super tasty polenta. I’m talking garlic…rosemary…creamy goodness. If you’ve never worked with polenta before, it is super simple. Just be ready to whisk away.
TSV TIP: You can get the polenta I used here.
Don’t have polenta on hand? Serve this stew with rice, quinoa or some crusty bread.
Have additional veggies in your fridge that need to be used up? Add them to the stew. The more the merrier.
Need more soup/stew recipe inspo:
- Roasted Cauliflower Soup with Basil Chickpeas
- Tomato Basil Soup with Vegan Grilled Cheese Croutons
- Vegan Zuppa Toscana
Vegan Potato Stew with Rosemary Garlic Polenta
FOR THE POTATO STEW
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 2 carrots sliced in rounds
- 3 stalks celery diced
- 3 cloves garlic diced
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/4 tsp cayenne optional
- red pepper flakes optional
- 3 cups broth*
- 2 cups water
- 2 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1.5 lbs yellow potatoes cut in bite-sized pieces
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp water
- hot sauce optional
FOR THE ROSEMARY GARLIC POLENTA
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- 2 cloves garlic diced
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup instant polenta**
- salt & pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a stock pot over medium heat. Add the onion, carrot, celery, garlic, chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, salt, pepper, cayenne and red pepper flakes to the pot. Stir to combine and cook for 3-5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the broth, water, soy sauce, tomato paste, parsley and yellow potatoes to the pot. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer until the potatoes are tender.
- Transfer 1 cup of the broth and veggies to a blender. Blend until smooth and return to the pot.
- Create a cornstarch slurry by combing the cornstarch and water in a bowl until combined. Add to the pot and stir to combine. Continue to let the stew simmer until thickened. Add hot sauce if you'd like more spice.
- When you are ready to eat, prepare the polenta. Melt the butter in a pan over medium heat. Add the garlic and rosemary and cook until garlic begins to brown. Remove the rosemary with tongs and reserve for later. Add the water and bring to a boil. Slowly add the polenta and whisk until smooth (approx. 5 minutes). If the polenta gets too thick, add a splash of water or non-dairy milk to loosen it up. Add salt & pepper to taste.
- To serve, add polenta to bowls and top with the stew. Top the bowls with the reserved rosemary.
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on one and make a purchase I will receive a small percentage of the sale. Please know I would never link a product unless I have personally used it and loved it!