7 Layer Vegan Burrito
This 7 Layer Vegan Burrito combines roasted potatoes, rice, beans, bell pepper & onion, jalapeños, salsa and avocado in a warm tortilla.
When you tell people you’re vegan, a lot of them will focus on all of the things you can’t eat. All of the restaurants you can’t go to. How hard it must be.
And one of my favorite things to tell them is – “Well, I still eat Taco Bell”.
For some reason, being able to eat at Taco Bell is the most jaw dropping thing anyone unfamiliar with veganism has ever heard.
The idea of being vegan automatically becomes more relatable.
Now, while telling people I eat Taco Bell is shocking, I also mention that it isn’t something I eat on a regular basis – because even though it’s vegan, doesn’t mean it’s healthy.
Luckily the same things you can order there are easy to make at home – and taste a whole lot better.
Which is how I came up with on one of my go-to recipes – 7 Layer Vegan Burrito.
This burrito combines, roasted potatoes, beans, rice, salsa, jalapeños, bell pepper & onions, and avocado in a warm tortilla. It’s spicy, crunchy and better than anything you will get at Taco Bell.
You have a lot of flexibility with this burrito.
Don’t like spice? Switch out the jalapeño for cilantro.
Want some more veggies? Add in a handful of spinach.
Instead of potatoes you could do some veggie ground beef.
Lots of options. Just use what you have on hand and get creative with it.
7 Layer Vegan Burrito
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Dice potatoes into equal, bite-size pieces. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.* Spread potatoes out and top with 1 teaspoon taco seasoning. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes. Flip and top with remaining teaspoon of taco seasoning. Bake for an additional 10-20 minutes, until tender and crispy.
- While potatoes are baking, place a pan on the stove over medium heat. Add olive oil, bell pepper and onions to the pan and sauté, stirring frequently. When peppers and onions are tender, remove from heat and set aside.
- Reheat rice and beans. Add cumin to cooked rice and stir to combine.
- Assemble burritos - spread beans along the center of each tortilla, followed by rice, potatoes, peppers & onions, jalapeños, salsa and avocado.
- Place a pan on the stove over medium high heat. Wrap up burritos and place one in the pan (sealed side down). Once it begins to brown, flip and cook other side until brown. Remove from the pan. Repeat with each burrito.
- Cut each in half and serve.