Vegan French Onion Soup
Rich, savory and totally delicious, this Vegan French Onion Soup is going to be your go-to comforting soup recipe.
The time has come for the ultimate classic recipe turned vegan. This French Onion Soup is next level comfort food and so freaking delicious. You would never know this stuff was vegan. From the rich “beef” broth to the crispy, cheesy toasts on top, you will keep coming back for more.
The key to a good french onion soup is to take your time. This isn’t a 10 minute soup. You need to let the onions slowly cook. Then add layers of flavor with the red wine and the broth. By the time everything comes together, the onions are super tender and the flavors are out of this world.
TSV TIP: Now, let’s talk about the broth. I think it is essential to use a vegan beef broth. The flavor is totally different than a veggie broth and it adds a really great depth of flavor. You can find the one I use at Whole Foods or online here.
Once your soup is done, ladle it into oven safe containers and top it off with toasted bread slices. And not just any toasted bread slices…cheesy, toasted bread slices.
I opted for vegan cream cheese since I’m not a fan of vegan shreds. But I think any vegan spreadable cheese will work.
Once the tops of each soup is nice and browned, it is time to dig in.
More of a visual person? Check out the video:
Vegan French Onion Soup
- Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add olive oil, onions, garlic, thyme, bay leaves and a pinch of salt & pepper to the pot and stir to combine. Cook, stirring frequently, until onions are tender (approx. 25 minutes).
- Add the wine and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer until most of the wine has evaporated (approx. 10 minutes). Remove the bay leaves and thyme.
- Dust onions with flour and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- Add broth to the pot and bring to a boil. Lower heat and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place bread slices on a baking sheet and cook until toasted. Remove from the oven and increase oven heat to broil.
- Spread cream cheese on each bread slice. Ladle soup into oven safe containers and place them on a baking sheet. Top each bowl with bread slices and carefully place in the oven. Bake until the cream cheese begins to brown.
- Serve immediately.
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on one and make a purchase I will receive a small percentage of the sale. Please know I would never link a product unless I have personally used it and loved it!