This Vegan Chicken Couscous Soup is healthy, comforting and perfect for cold season. Next time you're feeling sick or it is a cold winter night, make this soup to feel warm and toasty.
Ok...it is time for chicken noodle soup to move on over because Vegan Chicken Couscous Soup is in town and it is out of this world!
I made this soup with cold season in mind. AND low and behold, I ended up getting sick last week. Lucky for me, I had some of this stashed away in my freezer. And boy, was I happy I did.
This soup is like chicken noodle soup's older, more sophisticated brother. The broth has more depth and egg noodles are swapped out for pearl couscous. Oh...and, of course, the chicken is vegan. Healthier on so many levels.
First let's talk about this broth. I had to use my stand by vegan chicken bouillon (you can find it here). But, other than the bouillon, this broth is also packed full of tons of anti-inflammatory goodies - turmeric, ginger and garlic. All of these things will help you kick your cold's butt. And even if you're not sick, they just make this soup taste extra fancy and delicious.
As for the veggies, we are using the traditional soup ones. Carrots, onions and celery. Why fix something that isn't broke, right?
Now instead of traditional noodles, we are using pearl couscous. I know, fancy times are upon us. If you've never tried pearl couscous, you will love it. It's like little pasta balls in your soup.
Lastly is the vegan chicken. This is totally optional, but it makes this soup extra hearty and filling. You can use any non-breaded vegan chicken strips. I popped mine in the soup frozen, but if you are in a rush, you can thaw them first.
And that's it folks. You've got all of your main players. Add in some fresh herbs and spices and call it a day.
More of a visual person? Check out the video:
Vegan Chicken Couscous Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 2 large carrots diced
- 2 celery stalks diced
- ½ tablespoon turmeric
- pepper to taste
- 6 cups vegan chicken broth*
- 1 cup pearl couscous dry
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme chopped
- 10 oz vegan chicken strips** un-breaded and frozen
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add garlic, ginger, onion, carrots, celery, turmeric and pepper to the pot and stir to combine. Cook until onions begin to soften (3-5 minutes).
- Add the broth, couscous, rosemary, thyme and chicken to the pot and stir to combine. Bring to a boil then lower heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasonings.***
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on one and make a purchase I will receive a small percentage of the sale. Please know I would never link a product unless I have personally used it and loved it!