Sometimes in life you just need a good salad. And this Pad Thai Veggie Salad with Spicy Peanut Sauce always hits the spot for me.
Did I mention the spicy peanut sauce? I could eat this sauce with a spoon! But I guess I feel a little bit better about eating it when there are a ton of veggies to go with it.
One thing about this salad is that while it's super simple it does calls for a lot of ingredients and a lot of chopping. But please don't let that deter you. Many of the ingredients you will probably already have on hand (i.e. olive oil, soy sauce, garlic) and I swear to you it is worth the chopping time.
This also makes a HUGE amount! I honestly don't have a bowl big enough to hold all of the chopped veggies so I have to layer them into individual bowls or tupperware. Which makes this is a great make ahead lunch that will last all week.
Another variation I have tried with this recipe is swapping the traditional pad thai for Nooodles. No, that isn't a misspelling. Nooodles are zero calorie "noodles" made from water, yam flour and lime. Now if that doesn't sound like a scrumptious noodle replacement, I don't know what does. Haha.
I know they sound gross, but I actually really like them. They come packed in water and smell kinda funky when you first open them. You just need to rinse them in cold water and voila...the smell goes away and they are ready to use. To me they really don't have much of a flavor, which is perfect for a recipe like this where you want your noodles to absorb the flavors of the dressing. I have found them at Whole Foods or you can get them on Amazon.
If the Nooodles sound too adventurous for you, just stick with the pad thai - I wouldn't blame you.
Pad Thai Veggie Salad with Spicy Peanut Sauce
- FOR THE SALAD
- ½ package approx. 8 oz pad thai noodles
- ½ head purple cabbage chopped
- ½ head napa cabbage chopped
- 1 red bell pepper sliced
- 1 green bell pepper sliced
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- FOR THE DRESSING
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 5 tablespoons tamari or low sodium soy sauce if not GF
- 3 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1-2 jalapeños
- Cook your noodles according to the package instructions, drain, and rinse under cold water.
- Add all of the salad ingredients to a large bowl and toss to combine.*
- Add all of the dressing ingredients to a food processor and puree.
- Add the dressing to the salad and enjoy!
If you make this recipe be sure to snap a photo + post it + and tag #thissavoryvegan and @thissavoryvegan!